War of the Rebellion: Serial 028 Page 0032 OPERATIONS IN N. VA., W. VA., MD., AND PA. Chapter XXXI.

Search Civil War Official Records

(B) is a copy, were, at that hour, given for the disposition of the signal parties for the ensuing day. The stations occupied by noon on Saturday, October 11, were: at Fairview Heights, communicating with Hagerstown and Williamsport: at General F. J. Porter's headquarters, communicating with a station on Elk Mountain; on catoctin Ridge, west of Frederick, commanding both the Frederick and Middletown Valleys; on sugar loaf Mountain; on Point of Rocks, and on Maryland Heights, the four latter communicating with general headquarters, and a station on washington Monument.* overlooking the Hagerstown Valley, and ordered to communicate to Hagerstown. this communication failed, for some reason, to be established. Some reports of minor importance were received from these stations on Saturday. The enemy was not, however, anywhere visible from them. On Saturday night the officers on Catoctin ridge and on the station east of that ridge were notified the rebel would possibly try to pass Potomac near the Monocacy.

On the morning of the 12th October, the signal report of 4.30 a. m. (Numbers 1.), from Sugar Loaf Mountain, forwarded by electric telegraph from Frederick, and received here between 8 and 9 a. m., announced nothing as visible at the hour first mentioned, from the mountain. This report was almost immediately, as to the time for the arrival here, followed by another (Numbers 2.), upon which time is not marked, and which was probably made from Sugar Loaf soon after daylight, as follows: "It is reported that rebels have crossed. We can see heavy bodies of troops near Hyattstown." In reply to an inquire from these headquarters as to what arm, and how uniformed, the Sugar Loaf Station, at 11 a. m. (Numbers 7.) replied, "All that are reported are cavalry, with gray uniforms." At 9.45 a. m. Sugar Loaf announced (Numbers 5.) the opening of a battery by the enemy, between the mouth of the Monocacy and Poolesville, a little west of south Sugar Loaf Mountain. At 12.15 and 12.30 p. m. the reports of the Sugar Loaf Station (Nos. 9 and 10) showed the enemy then still crossing the Potomac, and, so far as can be judged, at at least two points. a final report, received about 5 p. m. of that day, announced that no enemy was then visible from that position. reports received during the day from Point of Rocks show the enemy to have been visible from that place, an some of them dressed in the United uniform. Information having been received at these headquarters that the enemy had scattered, and that most of them were at Point of Rocks (this about 3 p. m.) the station, in reply to an inquiry, at once informed these headquarters that there were none of the enemy in that vicinity, but that troops, dressed in our uniform, were on the Virginia side of the Potomac. The station on Cotactin Ridge, west of Frederick, reported the sound and apparent direction of the cannonade as soon as it was heard. While the engagement wa progressing near the Monacacy, the station at Fairview Heights reported, through Hagerstown, as to appearances at Chambersburg, the movement of infantry upon the turnpike near Hancock, and that there were none of the enemy in the vicinity or visible from Fairview (Numbers 6). The station upon Elk Mountain reported early in the morning (Numbers 3.) the fact that no enemy was in its view, and at various times throughout the day, reports were received from Maryland Heights. The final report of the day was that of Point of Rocks, transmitted through Maryland Heights (Numbers 12), and announcing that at 5 p. m. the enemy's mounted pickets were visible in virginia, opposite Noland's Ferry, and that long lines of smoke could be seen in the vicinity of Leesburg.


*Near Boonsborough, Md.