War of the Rebellion: Serial 027 Page 0980 OPERATIONS IN N. VA., W. VA., MD. AND PA. Chapter XXXI.

Search Civil War Official Records

The march was without incident of importance until arriving at the ford opposite the Warrenton Springs.*

* * * * *

On September 5 the division crossed into Maryland near Leesburg, and on the 11th recrossed into Virginia at Williamsport; advanced upon Martinsburg, skirmishing with the enemy's pickets; entered the town on the 12th, and caused General White, with some 3,000 men, to fall back upon Harper's Ferry. A large quantity of of commissary and quartermaster's stores were taken at Martinsburg.

Saturday, the 13th, arrived at Harper's Ferry, my division being in advance.

On Sunday afternoon, the necessary signals from the Loudoun and Maryland Heights having notified us that all was ready, I was ordered by General Jackson to "move along the left bank of the Shenandoah, and thus turn the enemy's left flank and enter Harper's Ferry." The enemy occupied a ridge of a hills known as Bolivar Heights, extending from the Potomac to the Shenandoah, naturally strong, but rendered very formidable by extensive earthworks. Having first shelled the woods over which my route lay, I moved obliquely to my right until I struck the Shenandoah. Moving down the Shenandoah, I discovered an eminence crowning the extreme left of the enemy's line, bare of all earthwork, the only obstacles being abatis of fallen timber. The enemy occupied this hill with infantry, but no artillery. Branch and Gregg were ordered to continue the march along the river, and, during the night, to take advantage of the ravines cutting the precipitous banks of the river, and establish themselves on the plain to the left and rear of the enemy's works. Pender, Archer, and Brockenbrough were directed to gain the crest of the hill before mentioned. Thomas followed as a reserve. The execution of this movement was intrusted to General Pender, his own brigade being commanded by Colonel Brewer. This was accomplished with but slight resistance, and the fate of Harper's Ferry was sealed. Lieutenant-Colonel Walker was directed to bring up his guns and establish them in the position thus gained. This was done during the night, by the indomitable resolution and energy of Colonel Walker and his adjutant (Lieutenant Chamberlayne), ably seconded by the captains of batteries. Generals Branch and Gregg had also gained the position desired, and daybreak found them in rear of the enemy's line of defense. General Pender, with Thomas in support, moved his brigades to within 150 yards of the works, and were sheltered as much as possible from the fire of the enemy.

At dawn, Lieutenant-Colonel Walker opened a rapid enfilade fire from all his batteries at about 1,000 yards range. The enemy replied vigorously. In an hour, the enemy's fire seeming to be pretty well silenced, the batteries were ordered to cease, and this was the signal for storming the works. General Pender had commenced his advance, when, the enemy again opening, Pegram and Crenshaw were run forward to within 400 yards, and, quickly coming into battery, poured in a damaging fire. The enemy now displayed the white flag, and Lieutenant Chamberlayne was sent in to know if they surrendered. This was soon ascertained to be the fact, and the garrison, &c., was surrendered by General White, Colonel D. S. Miles, the commanding officer, having been mortally wounded.

By direction of General Jackson, I granted General White the most liberal terms, and regret to report that this magnanimity was not appreciated by the enemy, as the wagons which were loaned to carry off the private baggage of the officers were not returned for nearly two months,


*Portion here omitted is printed in Series I, Vol. XII, Part II, pp. 670-672.