War of the Rebellion: Serial 027 Page 0451 Chapter XXXI. THE MARYLAND CAMPAIGN.

Search Civil War Official Records

posite shore of the creek. This was followed by a brisk shelling from the enemy's battery, also stationed on the opposite side of the creek.

By order of General Rodman, we left this exposed position under a heavy fire, having 36 men wounded, and took position to the left and took position the left and rear, up the george of the mountain. After resting some two hours and refreshing the men, we were ordered to advance and formed line of battle on the crest of the hill to the left of the position vacated in the morning. I then ordered the Ninth Battery to the left, placed them in position, and commenced shilling the road and wood s on the opposite side of the creek, driving the enemy from their position. The enemy then advanced their skirmishers, and were forced to retire by the timely execution of this battery.

The brigade them moved by the left flank down to the ford; crossing the creek, an forming in the woods, advanced and took a position opposite the bridge; there formed line of battle on the crest of the hill in the rear of--- Battery, remaining in position under a heavy fire of shell. Though the fire was severe, the brigade remained firm in its position for nearly an hour, until ordered to advance. General Rodman the ordered us to advance to the support of General Sturgis command. We continued to advance to the opposite hill under a tremendous fire from the enemy's batteries up steep embankments. Arriving near a stone fence, the enemy-a brigade composed of South Carolina and Georgia regiments-opened on us with musketry. After returning their fire, I immediately ordered a charge, which the whole brigade gallantly responded to, moving with alacrity and steadiness. Arriving at the fence, behind which the enemy were awaiting us, receiving their fire, losing large numbers of our men, we charged oven the fence, dislodging them and driving them from their position down the hill toward the village, a stand of regimental colors belonging to a South Carolina regiment being taken Private Thomas Hare, Company D, Eighty-ninth New York Volunteers, who was afterward killed. We continued to purse the enemy down the hill. Discovering that they were massing fresh troops on our left, I went back, and requested General Rodman to bring up rapidly the Second Brigade to our support, which he did, they engaging the enemy, he soon afterward falling badly wounded. It was then discovered that the enemy were moving up from the corn-field on our left to flank us, and I ordered the brigade to retire about 250 yards to the rear of the position we now held, which movement was executed in good order and without confusion. The large force advancing on left flank compelled us to retire from the position, which we could have held had we been properly supported. We remained in this position until we were positively ordered to withdraw from the field, the officers and men regretting such a necessity. Thus ended one of the hardest contested battles of the day. Great praise is due to Lieutenant-Colonel Kimball, commanding the Ninth; Major Jardine, commanding Eighty-ninth, and major ring old, commanding One hundred and third Regiment, for their coolness, gallantry, and bravery on the field; also the line officers of the several regiments and the steadiness of the men. I inclose a list of the casualties of this brigade on that day.* I remain, very respectfully,

H. S. FAIRCHILD, Colonel, Commanding First Brigadier, Third Div., Ninth Army Corps. Colonel EDWARD HARLAND,

Commanding Third Division.


*Embodied Third Division.