War of the Rebellion: Serial 026 Page 0113 Chapter XXX. NEW BERNE TO GOLDSBOROUGH.

Search Civil War Official Records

road. The enemy then was attacked at Hines' Mill while he attempted to cross the creek. After a sharp engagement of an hour I fell back toward the Neuse River,keeping line of battle and arresting his approach about 2 miles from Kinston Bridge. He then attacked in considerable force, but retired after an engagement of ten hours. I rested, but retired after an engagement of ten hours. I rested on my arms that night in this position,the enemy ceasing fire after nightfall.

On the morning of the 14th (Sunday), being informed by Colonel Radcliffe that the enemy was approaching his position, I directed him to open fire white I would attack his left. I ordered an immediate advance,and soon became engaged with my whole line with the enemy in heavy force - supposed to be about 20,000. The action lasted three hours, when, ascertaining his greatly-superior force, I retired with my command across the Neuse Bridge, when the enemy pursued with heavy fire,stormed the bridge, and drove me back to the town of Kinston, capturing about 400, including no [number of?] sick prisoners. Reforming my line, with the additional re-enforcements of Colonel [S. H.] Rogers' Forty-seventh Regiment North Carolina Troops, in a commanding position in rear of the town, I again awaited the attack. About 3 p.m. Major-General Foster sent his staff officer (Colonel Potter) to summon me to surrender, which I promptly declined. In an hour he commenced shelling the town, but hesitated to renew his direct attack. Taking advantage of my position, I retired in column to Falling Creek, where the major-general commanding had forwarded me additional re-enforcements. At this point (a very strong position) I encamped for the night. Hearing early next morning that the enemy had recrossed the river and was advancing on White Hall in my rear, I immediately dispatched one regiment (the Eleventh North Carolina Troops, Colonel [C.] Leventhorpe) and 600 dismounted cavalry, the whole under the command of Brigadier General B. H. Robertson, to proceed in haste and dispute his crossing at White Hall, while I would attack his rear toward Kinston. The report of Brigadier-General Robertson is herewith inclosed, marked A.* I here sent Colonel Rogers to march on Kinston, and held my other forces in readiness to move in either direction. Finding the enemy had retired across the river and burned the bridge, I ordered my whole command to Mosely Hall, a position where I could support General Robertson. At this point I met Major-General French, commanding department, who immediately assumed command and timely re-enforced Brigadier-General Robertson. My force engaged at Kinston consisted of the Seventeenth, Twenty-second, Twenty-third, and Holcombe Legion South Carolina Volunteers; Colonel Radcliffe's Sixty-first Regiment North Carolina Troops; Major Mallett's battalion; Captain [R.] Boyce's light battery South Carolina Volunteers; Captains Bunting's and Starr's batteries North Carolina troops. Lieutenant-Colonel Pool, commanding North Carolina heavy artillery, commanded the intrenchments at the obstructions below Kinston and attacked the gunboats and held them in check while I regained my position in rear of the town. My whole force amounted to 2,014.

From Mosely Hall (after the repulse of the enemy at White Hall) I was directed by the major-general commanding the department to report to Goldsborough. On my arrival with my command was ordered by Major General G. W. Smith to assume command of Brigadier General T. L. Clingman's brigade and make an armed reconnaissance of the enemy approaching the railroad bridge. I immediately ordered General Clingman to advance his brigade over the river by the county bridge and engage him; that I would support his left. On arriving beyond the bridge about a


*See report No. 39.