War of the Rebellion: Serial 021 Page 0169 Chapter XXVII. THE LA FOURCHE DISTRICT, LA.

Search Civil War Official Records

In a very short time the enemy's battery retreated and also the infantry support. The fight did not last long. I found that the enemy had four pieces of artillery in the road. It was Connor's battery, Company A, Withers' light artillery, commanded by Captain G. Ralston* (who was wounded and is now a paroled prisoner); this battery, supported by the remnants of the Eighteenth Louisiana and the Crescent City Regiments, numbering together about 500 men. They were lying down in a ditch on the lower side of a plantation road in the edge of woods at Georgia Landing, and immediately on the left of the battery.

I ordered skirmishers at once in the woods to secure prisoners. Carruth arrived about this time, and I sent him with one section and Perkins' cavalry in pursuit. They pursued about 4 miles, Carruth firing upon the retreating forces on both sides of the bayou. I have since learned that Semmes' battery of six pieces, supported by Colonel Clark's [Clack's] (the Thirty-third) regiment of Louisiana Volunteers, was in front on the left bank. I lost 18 killed and 74 wounded.+ Lieutenant Francis, of the Twelfth Connecticut, was taken prisoner before the fight. We have buried 5 of the enemy and have 17 wounded in our hospital, but I have proof that their loss was greater. I took 166 of the enemy prisoners the day of the battle and 42 of them since; total, 208. I released them all on parole. Col. G. P. McPheeters was killed. I delivered his body to some of his brother officers who were prisoners, and he was decently buried near the battle-field, the chaplain of the Eighth New Hampshire officiating. One of the pieces of the enemy's artillery broke down in the retreat. We secured it and have it now in our possession. All of my command did very well, both officers and men. The Eighth New Hampshire advanced steadily in front of the enemy's battery. The Twelfth and Thirteenth Connecticut crossed the bridge, formed in line of battle under the very accurate and splendid fire of the enemy's artillery without seeming to notice it at all. My cavalry has been of invaluable service to me; both officers and men have done splendidly. I wish I had four times the number. The Signal Corps also has been of great service to me. I crossed over my train and encamped on the battle-field; had my own and the enemy's wounded put in house which I took as a hospital near where I went into camp. The next morning (yesterday) I moved down the right bank of the bayou, throwing over the Seventy-fifth New York and Williamson's cavalry on the left bank. I left about 30 wounded of my own, who could not be moved, and the enemy's wounded, in charge of Surg. B. N. Comings, of the Thirteenth Connecticut, and left with him provisions, money, and supplies for their care. I entered Thibodeaux at 3 o'clock p.m. without opposition. I certainly expected a fight at this place. When I arrived a short distance from it I found from the smoke of burning bridges that they were retreating, and immediately ordered my cavalry in pursuit They followed as closely as their force would allow, and prevented the total destruction of two railroad bridges, the one across Bayou La Fourche, the other across Bayou Terre Bonne. I found three freight cars at La Fourche Crossing uninjured, one containing arms, shovels, and sugar, and another containing a lot of arms, ammunition, and accouterments. I also found papers by the side of the road, which were thrown away in their retreat, proving that the enemy had left Bayou des Allemands. I went into camp on Burton's plantation, about 1 mile below Thibodeaux. I will repair the damage on the two bridges to-morrow. The enemy had retreated


*No record found of Connor's as a Mississippi battery. Captain George Ralston appears on the rolls as captain of Battery H.

+See revised statement, p. 172.