War of the Rebellion: Serial 019 Page 0979

Search Civil War Official Records


at Frog Bayou; joined Colonel [J. V.] Cockrell at said place in two days thereafter marched with Colonel Cockrell for the Missouri River; proceeded as far as Newtonia; then came in contact with the Federals, commanded by Major Hubbard. After a short skirmish with him, we turned west, and proceeded as far as Lone Jack unmolested, traveling day and night. At Lone Jack, Colonel Cockrell attacked the Federals under Major Foster, and defeated him. We proceeded (my squad) to the river, some 40 miles farther. On my arrival there, I immediately made it known that I was duly commissioned by General Hindman to raise a regiment of cavalry (it being impossible to bring recruits from the river otherwise than mounted). I was on said river about four days, in which [time) I raised the regiments above mentioned, and started from the river about the 18th of August. My men were well mounted, being on as good horses as the country afforded. We traveled south in the rear of the Federals that were following Cockrell till we reached Coon Creek, about 12 miles northeast of Carthage; there we came in contact with the Federals, under Colonel Cloud, consisting of the Sixth Kansas (mounted) and the Third Wisconsin Infantry. After three hours fighting, we succeeded in driving them back. We then continued our march south into Arkansas unmolested, but during the whole march we traveled night and day. After we had reached a point of safety, we halted and shod a portion of our horses, but soon received an order from General Rains to report, which we did, at Elm Spring. We were then ordered to McKissick Springs. During that time we had no transportation except a few two-horse wagons that we had purchased after entering the State. At McKissick Springs we were ordered to report to General Hindman, at Pineville. On our arrival at that place, we found that the general had not reached there, and we were then ordered some 15 miles north of there, at a point on Elk Horn Creek, where Colonels Hays and Coffee were encamped. That was on or about the 9th of September, and at said encampment we were met by General Hindman, who caused the three regiments, consisting of Hays', Coffee's, and the undersigned, to be thrown together, which constitutes this brigade, and command of same being given to me by the general himself. We were then ordered to Camp Kearny, 6 miles south of Newtonia. I found Hays' and Coffee's regiments in the same condition as mine; their horses were unshod, and they had very little transportation, their men being very badly clad as well as the men I had brought out; the Federals giving us but very little time while at the river to make any arrangements, and pushed me so close that I was well satisfied that delay on the river would have been disastrous, and from said cause we were unable in many instances to allow the men to return to their homes for clothes before starting. Whilst at Camp Kearny, we attacked the Federals at Newtonia, driving them some 10 miles, in which engagement we lost Colonel [Upton]Hays. We then moved up to Newtonia. In a few days thereafter we attacked a part of Colonel Phillips' brigade near Carthage, routing them. We likewise, after that, had two skirmishes with them at Mount Vernon, some 30 miles northeast of Newtonia, driving their pickets in, and on one occasion driving their forces out of Mount Vernon, some 10 miles east.

During all that time we were some 40 miles in advance of General Rains, and were required to scout all the country in his front from Cassville west to Scott's Mill, 18 miles west, which required, on an average, from 700 to 1,000 men daily. We were joined, about the 27th of September, by Colonel Cooper, who assumed command. On the 30th, we fought General Solomon at Newtonia, defeating him badly.