War of the Rebellion: Serial 019 Page 0287 Chapter XXV. ENGAGEMENT AT NEWTONIA, MO.

Search Civil War Official Records

enemy's pickets, wounded several, and made 1 prisoner. Those at Granby reported no enemy there. The scouting party to Newtonia was commanded by Colonel Lynde, and consisted of the Ninth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry (about 150 men) and two mountain howitzers. In the afternoon I heard cannon firing in the direction of Newtonia. I ordered Lieutenant-Colonel Jacobi, Ninth Regiment Wisconsin Volunteers, with three cannon of Stockton's battery and two companies of the Ninth Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, to his assistance. Toward evening Colonel Lynde returned to camp, reporting that Lieutenant-Colonel Jacobi had taken a position of observation some 9 miles from camp and wanted re-enforcements. I sent two more companies of the Ninth Wisconsin Volunteers infantry, and advised him that Colonel Lynde would be with him in the morning. The instructions of Colonel Lynde and Lieutenant-Colonel Jacobi were mainly to find out the enemy, but not to risk anything, and to report to me immediately if they would find the enemy in force.

At about 7 a. m. on the 30th I heard heavy firing in the direction of Newtonia. I at once ordered the forces here (First and Second Brigades of Kansas) to be in readiness, and ordered Colonel Hall, in command of the Fourth Brigade, Missouri State Militia, to march to

Newtonia. The fire continuing, I ordered the Sixth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry and the Third Indian Home Guard to proceed to the battle-field on a trot, while I marched with the infantry and artillery in the same direction. Our train was left in charge of some 400 Indians and two pieces of Major Blair's battery. At about 10 a. m. the messenger to Colonel Hall overtook me on the road with the message hereto annexed.* I dispatched Captain Welch, Second Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, to keep communication between us open. Soon afterward I received the news that our troops, in the attempt to take the town, were defeated and the infantry cut up. Official reports I have not been able to obtain yet. On my arrival at the battle-field I found the Sixth Kansas and the Third Indian Home Guard in line of battle on an elevation north of Newtonia. I ordered the Sixth Kansas, with two mountain howitzers, to the right; the Third Indian Regiment of Home Guards to the left, where a wooded ravine, lined with corn fields and stone fences, runs to the town; the artillery, Captain Allen's battery and three pieces of Captain Stockton's battery, to the center, supported by the First Battalion of the Tenth Kansas Infantry on their left; three pieces of Stockton's battery and the Second Battalion of the Tenth Kansas Infantry being kept as reserve. The enemy were re-enforced in the forenoon, and, as prisoners say, 7,000 strong. I waited anxiously for the arrival of Colonel hall on the right flank of the enemy, keeping the enemy in check by my artillery. An attempt to force our left flank was nobly repulsed by Colonel Phillips, Third Indian Home Guards, supported by our reserve. My intention was to advance upon the enemy with the whole force at the arrival of Colonel Hall, but when he had not arrived toward sunset I ordered the retreat. Shortly afterward I was informed that Colonel Hall was 2 miles in my rear in the timber. It now became dark. General Rains was reported to be arriving, and I fell back on my defenses at this place. Why Colonel Hall did not come in time, and on the road he reported he would come, is a mystery to me, and can be explained perhaps only by him. There is


*Not found.