War of the Rebellion: Serial 015 Page 0792 OPERATIONS IN N. VA., W. VA., AND MD. Chapter XXIV.

Search Civil War Official Records

ment through the woods to our right, I deemed it best to withdraws to the woods and await the coming of other troops. I did so, and encountered General Trimble's brigade advancing on our left. General Trimble informed me that he was going forward to charge the enemy's battery, and directed me to advance on his right. This I did, again sending Colonel Terrill forward with the skirmishers. He soon encountered the enemy's skirmishers that had followed us into the woods. After a brief but active skirmish they were driven back with the loss of several killed and wounded, among the latter an aid of General Blenker.

We again moved forward, under cover of Ever's house and barn, until ordered by General Trimble to move more to the right, so as to leave the house and barn on my left. In moving by the right flank to gain this position we received a heavy volley of musketry from a Yankee force on our left, which wounded several of the Twenty-fifth Regiment, and almost at the same instant the right of the Thirteenth Regiment came into full view of a battery of three pieces, supported by three regiments of infantry, and not more than 400 yards in front. The battery opened a well-directed and heavy fire with grape, which, owing to the unexpected nature of the attack, caused some confusion, but, order having been restored, the troops advanced steadily to the front to a fence 50 yards farther in advance. finding General Trimble's brigade was detained by a force on our left, I ordered the men to lie down and fire. This they did with such effect as to twice drive the enemy from one of their guns. The fire of the enemy was galling, and seeing no further good could be accomplished by remaining longer in my position, I moved again by the right flank to the cover of a wood and halted. About this time the enemy fell back and I was ordered to remain in my position. About sundown I was directed by General Trimble to join him on the left, which I did, and remained with his brigade until ordered back to camp about 10 o'clock at night. The men and officers of both regiments were exposed to a terrible fire for a few moments, and behaved to my entire satisfaction.

For a report of the operations of the Twelfth Georgia and Thirty-first Virginia Volunteers on the 8th I beg leave to refer to the report of the commanders of the respective regiments, marked A and B.* Lists of the killed and wounded, will be found inclosed for each regiment. The report from Raine's battery will be sent as soon as received.

On the 9th I was placed in command of the Fourth Brigade, General Elzey having been wounded on the preceding day. After crossing the river I reported to Major-General Jackson, who ordered me to send one regiment and my battery (Raine's) to support General Winder. I detached the Thirty-first Virginia Regiment, under command of Colonel Hoffman, for this purpose, and saw no more of the regiment or battery during the day. The accompanying report, marked C,* of colonel Hoffman, will show the operations of this regiment, which I regret to say was badly cut up, being placed in a very exposed position for some time.

With the three remaining regiments, Thirteenth, Twenty-fifth Virginia, and Twelfth Georgia, I was ordered to follow General Taylor's brigade. I attempted to do this, but, having no guide and being totally unacquainted with the nature of the ground, we became entangled in the thick undergrowth and made slow progress, until we arrived at a precipice so matted and grown over with laurel and ivy that we could ad-


*Not found.