War of the Rebellion: Serial 015 Page 0501 Chapter XXIV. SKIRMISH AT LINDEN.

Search Civil War Official Records

Captain Raphael to proceed to this place without delay, and that transportation would be furnished by railroad at the earliest opportunity, I availed myself of the first train yesterday.

At 8 a. m. I sent the company team and wagon* and a two-horse team, in charge of Sergt. Edwin McCabe, 2 corporals, a wagoner, 10 privates, and a colored servant, and took the train at 1 p. m. with the company. When within 1 mile of this place we were met by Sergeant McCabe and Private Joseph Madison, who stated that 500 or 600 rebel cavalry had descended from the mountains suddenly, surprising and capturing the whole party and train except themselves. I ordered the cars to proceed at once to the station. When arriving at the station we saw the rear guard of the rebel cavalry at a distance of about 500 yards on the road leading south, which, after receiving a volley from my men, fled precipitately into the adjacent wood. I immediately formed my company to take measures to prevent a second surprise.

Having strongly picketed the avenues of approach, I ordered the town to be searched, which was done in a thorough, yet respectful, manner by my men, at the same time arresting every man in the place, and kept them under strict guard.

I found Corpl. George C. Sneath lying in the depot mortally wounded in the abdomen, who died in about an hour. Corpl. Ephraim Baker was slightly wounded in the temple and taken prisoner, with Privates William H. Glayier, John N. Salkeld, Thomas White, George W. Bowersox, Josiah M. Funk, William Cane, George Snyder, Alber Miles Samuel Rinard, Curtis Maxwell, teamster of Company M, Twenty-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and 3 cavalrymen of the First Michigan Cavalry (Company I), names not known, bearers of mail and dispatches to yourself from Front Royal, and colored servant of Captain George F. McCabe (Charles Murphy). I ordered the conductor to return at once with the engine and report. Dr. Logan volunteered to go and report to you particulars. Leaving word at Markham Station, Company G came immediately to our assistance, arriving at this station at 6 p. m. The command was then relinquished to Captain Mayer, who threw out a heavy guard during the night, and at 1.30 a. m. Captain Chapman arrived, relieving Captain Meyer, who returned to Markham. After a thorough examination of all the persons under arrest (who appeared favorably disposed toward us) I educed the following information: They placed the number of the rebel cavalry at 500 or 600, armed with Minie rifles and carbines-the lowest estimate made was 300-under command of Lieutenant-Colonel Muford, consisting of Captains Dulaney's, Green's, White's, and other companies, of Colonel Stuart's cavalry; they came into the place in three divisions, the right on the main road leading south, the center off the mountain in front of the depot, the left by a mountain road about a quarter of a mile west of the depot and coming to the rear of the depot. So well concerted was the plan, that they supposed them to be thousands.

The inhabitants condemned the rebels very much for the barbarous and treacherous manner they shot and wounded our men after having surrendered their arms. In fact, we were informed by one man, who was very kind to Corporal Sneath, and made him as comfortable as he could under the circumstances, that the rebels were ashamed of it themselves. The company deeply deplore the loss of Corporal Sneath. He


*The rebels left three sets of harness and the company wagon.-J. A. M.