War of the Rebellion: Serial 012 Page 0820 THE PENINSULAR CAMPAIGN, VA. Chapter XXIII.

Search Civil War Official Records

was the last to quit the field. To many others no less deserving honorable mention for signal service I must refer you to the reports of brigade commanders, herewith transmitted.

While these events were developing on the right under my personal supervision the Second Brigade, under its gallant leader, Brigadier-General Sickles, was actively engaged with the enemy to the left. Soon after leaving camp in the morning this brigade had been detached from my column without my knowledge, with direction to pierce the forest on each side of the Williamsburg road. In order that its services may be known and appreciated your attention is especially invited to the report, of the brigade commander, herewith inclosed. Attention is also respectfully called to the honorable mention of those officers, and men who were distinguished for eminent services on this part of the field. It is a source of extreme satisfaction to me to be informed that the brave officers and men of this brigade everywhere sustained the high character they had nobly earned at Williamsburg. I tender my warmest thanks to their intrepid chief and to them. When I joined I found them in possession of the forest in our front and a portion of the camps occupied by our troops the day previous.

The following morning (Monday), with this brigade, the Fifth and Sixth New Jersey Regiments, Gregg's cavalry, and Bramhall's and Osborn's batteries, all the ground we had lost on Saturday was reoccupied and held. One piece of artillery was recovered; also several caissons and limbers-a number of them belonging to the rebels-and a large quantity of their small-arms, with other valuable property.

On marching from camp at the Oak Bottom Swamp I had been directed to leave the First Brigade, with four pieces of Smith's battery, under Brigadier-General Grover, to defend the crossing at that point, and also to detach the Seventh and Eighth New Jersey Regiments, with two pieces of artillery, under Lieutenant-Colonel Trawin, Eighth New Jersey Regiment, to hold the rifle pits at Bottom's Bridge. These important services were rendered to my satisfaction. As they have an intimate relation with the operations of other corps of the division I have deemed it proper to forward the reports of those officers, with the accompanying papers.

I must again express my thanks to Captain Joseph Dickinson, my assistant adjutant-general (and among the wounded), and to Lieutenant William H. Lawrence, First Massachusetts Volunteers, aide-de-camp, and Lieuts. Charles L. Young, Tenth New York,and E. L. Price, Seventy-fourth New York Regiment, officers of my staff, for the valuable assistance rendered me throughout these operations.

To the medical director of my division, Surg. T. Sim, I am under especial obligations for his provision and attention to the wounded.

I have the honor to forward herewith the list of killed and wounded. There were 7 commissioned officers wounded; enlisted men, 16 killed, 117 wounded, 9 missing. Aggregate, 149.* About 100 prisoners were taken.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,


Brigadier-General, Commanding Division.


Assistant Adjutant-General., Third Army Corps.


*But see revised statement, p. 759.