War of the Rebellion: Serial 012 Page 0187 Chapter XXIII. GENERAL REPORTS.

Search Civil War Official Records

of the Sanitary Commission at once, and carried them with me to the front. Having set the hospital at White House in motion, Brigade Surgeon Baxter in charge, I loaded three wagons with hospital supplies, and on the 21st May started once more in pursuit of the army. I found headquarters at Tunstall's Station. The next day they were advanced to Cold Harbor. Here I investigated the report with regard to scurvy, and found it to be erroneous. I, however, requested the Adjutant-General to compel the men to use desiccated vegetables, and to make and use soup daily unless that were rendered impossible by reason of being actually on the march; the use of fried fresh meat to be absolutely forbidden; boiled or roasted beef to be substituted.

On the 23rd I returned to White House, and the next day proceeded to Yorktown to inspect the hospitals there. I found them in want of some articles of clothing and bedding, but generally in good order and well arranged. One of them, in the Nelson House, with Miss Dix for housekeeper, was very neat. On my return I inspected the hospital ships, made arrangements for completing their equipments, and directed the Sanitary Commission to send 1,000 shirts, 300 wrappers, 300 pairs of slippers, and 1,000 sheets to the Yorktown hospital. I then inspected the hospital at White House, made contracts with nineteen physicians from Massachusetts [sent promptly by the Surgeon-General of that State in answer to a telegram from me], placed eight of them on duty at White House, and sent the remainder to Yorktown to relieve as many regimental medical officers, who were forthwith ordered to their regiments. I found stragglers still coming into the hospitals-some really sick, who said they had been sent by their surgeons. On my return to headquarters I met 125 just coming into Dispatch Station to take the train-sent down in ambulances in direct violation of the standing orders of the army. I inspected these men on the spot, and sent a number back to their regiments. When I reached my tent I again brought this matter to the notice of the headquarters, feeling convinced we should soon have no army unless this practice was arrested. [See appendix U.]

May 27 General F. J. Porter fought and defeated the enemy at Hanover Court-House. In this battle there were reported to me 62 killed and 210 wounded.* Of the latter, 138 only went into the hospital. One hundred and twenty-three wounded prisoners fell into our hands. Ambulances were promptly sent for the wounded, and hospitals prepared for them in William Gaines' and Hogan's houses and outhouses. Hogan's house being under fire, I was afterward obliged to remove the inmates [prisoners] to Dr. Gaines' buildings, below. The wounded having been collected and attended to, I requested Colonel Ingalls to order the Knickerbocker to be in readiness to receive them that day [30th]. I also directed the Elm City to carry 400 sick from White House to Yorktown. These boats were in possession of the Sanitary Commission. Neither of them were ready. I then directed our own boat, the Commodore, to be placed in position to receive the wounded, and requested Surgeon-General Smith to take the general direction of affairs at that point. [See appendix V.]

I then substituted the Daniel Webster No. 2 for the Elm City to convey the sick. This was met by further objection, and I was obliged to reiterate the order peremptorily, with instructions to the surgeon in charge of the hospital to call upon Colonel Ingalls to order the boat up and send the men off if there were any trouble. One hundred and


*But see revised statement, p.685.