War of the Rebellion: Serial 010 Page 0414 KY., TENN., N. MISS, N. ALA., AND SW. VA.

Search Civil War Official Records



Report of the artillery of the First Corps, Army of the Mississippi, engaged April 6-7, at Shiloh, and casualties attending its operations.

Numb Kil Wou Pri Tota Horse Hors

er led nde son l s in es

of . d. ers kile servi lost

enga and d, ce. .

Command. ged. mis woun

sin ded,

g. and



Polk's battery. 102 4 18 2 24 81 30

Smith's battery 120 1 13 -- 14 89 22


battery 131 4 13 -- 17 95 50


battery 93 2 18 -- 20 82 37

Total. 446 11 62 2 75 347 139

Command. Guns Cai Gun Cai Guns Guns

used sso s sso take on

. ns los ns n. hand

use t. los .

d. t.

Polk's battery. 6 6 2 6 1 4

Smith's battery 6 6 3 5 5 6


battery 6 6 4 6 --- 2


battery 6 6 -- 2 7 6

Total. 24 24 9 19 13 18

Numbers 143. Report of Brigadier General Charles Clark, C. S. Army, commanding First Division.


April 8, 1862.

MAJOR: On the evening of the 3rd instant my division (composed of the Second Brigade, commanded by Brigadier-General Stewart, and the First brigade, by Colonel R. M. Russell, of the Twelfth Tennessee Regiment) moved as ordered, and halted for the night on the ridge road to Pittsburg, about 9 miles from Corinth.

At daylight on the 4th we resumed the march, but were soon ordered to halt to permit the troops of Major-General Hardee to pass to our front.

We were again stopped at the crossing of the Monterey and Purdy road to await the arrival of troops that were to move by that road and precede us. We encamped for the night (during which rain fell in incessant torrents) with our right about half a mile from the cross-road at Mickey's, the whole day's march not exceeding 6 or 7 miles.

At 3 a.m. Saturday the whole command was under arms and in readiness to move, but darkness and a drenching rain detained us until dawn. At Mickey's we were again halted some five hours, until the troops of Major-General Bragg came up and preceded us, so that it was not until late in the afternoon that we arrived at the point designated for our bivouac for the night.

On Sunday morning, the 6th instant, the two brigades, the Second in front, marched to the field, as ordered by Major-General Polk, in line of battle, the center on the Pittsburg road, Stanford's battery attached to and following the Second in the road and Bankhead's battery the First.

When within about 1,000 yards of the enemy's camps the left flank of each line, while passing through a field, was exposed to a fire of round shot and shell from a battery of the enemy, but no casualties occurred, although the battery continued to fire upon us for thirty minutes. When we arrived within 300 yards of Major-General Bragg's line General. A. Sidney Johnston ordered me to send the Second Brigade, by a flank