War of the Rebellion: Serial 009 Page 0099 Chapter XX. CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.-CONFEDERATE.

Search Civil War Official Records

advance I halted them and sent back one of my aides to hasten up the rest of my brigade. While awaiting their arrival General Foster came up and passed on with the Twenty-fourth Massachusetts, my brigade following immediately. Captain Bradford, commanding Company E, Twenty-first Massachusetts, being in advance, came upon a large body of troops, whom he immediately ordered to lay down their arms, but they opened fire upon him, which he returned, killing 4 of them. the rest and General Foster being in advance, Lieutenant Hovey accompanied it, and an unconditional surrender was made to him. In the mean time I came up, and proceeded immediately to the barracks of the Thirty-first North Carolina Regiment, commanded by Colonel Jordan, who surrendered his entire command. Their arms having been secured, I assigned the prisoners to a portion of the barracks and occupied the remainder with my brigade.

As the command behaved with distinguished gallantry I cannot in justice to the others particularize individuals, but I beg leave to refer you tot he accompanying reports of the regimental commanders for the particulars, all of which I most heartily indorse. Lieutenant-Colonel Maggi commanded and led the Twenty-first Massachusetts, Colonel Ferrero the First-first New York, Lieutenant-Colonel Heckman the Ninth New Jersey, and Colonel Hartranft the Fifty-first Pennsylvania. Lieutenant-Colonel Maggi's regiment captured the flag of the fort and raised the first colors (the regimental flag). The Fifty-first New York raised the national flag on the parapet. Lieutenant-Colonel Potter, of the Fifty-first New York, led the three companies of his regiment that first entered the fort and was one of the first in. Captain Neill, assistant adjutant-general, Lieutenant Reno and Lieutenant Morris, my aides, and Lieutenant Marsh, of the Signal Corps, rendered me valuable assistance in carrying orders through the thickest of the fight and in directing the various regiments tot heir positions. In my brigade the total number killed was 16 and 64 wounded.* The regimental reports give the full particulars concerning the killed and wounded. Captain Henry, Company H, Ninth New Jersey, was killed whilst gallantly leading his company. Captain Foster, Company D, Twenty-first Massachusetts, was severely but not dangerously wounded, and Lieutenant Stearns, adjutant of the Twenty-first Massachusetts, was hit twice in remained, his face covered with blood, with his colonel at the head of the regiment during the whole day. Captain Ritchie, assistant commissary of the brigade, was detailed by me on the 7th instant to go on board the Pioneer and join the naval attack. He gallantly directed the vessel to the thickest of the fight. I beg leave to refer to his report for the particulars. Captain Nichols, of the Naval Brigade, took direction of the Lancer, the other gunboat belonging to the brigade, and participate in the naval attack. Two companies of the Fifty-first New York were on board the gunboats. I have had no report from them, but I have heard that no casualties occurred.

Inclosed I send a list of the prisoners now in my camp.+ The list is not complete, but it is all that I have had time to obtain. The names of 30 officers and 493 men are given.

I have the honor to be, very respectfully, your obedient servant,


Brigadier-General, Second Brigade, Burnside's Division.

Captain LEWIS RICHMOND, Assistant Adjutant-General.


*But see revised statement, p. 85.