War of the Rebellion: Serial 002 Page 0715 Chapter IX. CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.-UNION.

Search Civil War Official Records

State, many years ago, the etiquette of service would not excuse such neglect, even in the scientific officers of the Army.

With great respect, your obedient servant,


Brigadier-General, Commanding Ohio Brigade.

HAGERSTOWN, June 22, 1861.

Colonel E. D. TOWNSEND,

Assistant Adjutant-General:

At 10 o'clock last night Wallace was safe, and apprehended no immediate danger, though some 3,000 secessionists were said to be about twenty miles west. Anticipating active operations either as directed by the General-in-Chief or forward, I yesterday called him to me from a point where he is only a cause of anxiety and doing no good. I have supplied him with ammunition, and there is no force between us.


Major-General, Commanding.

CAMP SPRAGUE, Washington, D. C., June 22, 1861.

Lieutenant General W. SCOTT,

Headquarters U. S. Army:

SIR: I have the honor to report that the regiment under my command, in pursuance to orders from headquarters of the U. S. Army, departed from Washington on Monday, June 10, for the purpose of joining the column of Major-General Patterson, then moving from Chambersburg upon Harper's Ferry. The battery of artillery attached to the command, with the baggage, preceded the main body of the regiment twelve hours.

Early upon Monday morning we left camp, marching to the station of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, entered the cars prepared for our transportation, and were carried to Baltimore. The command was composed of 1,128 men and 117 officers, accompanied by a long wagon train. The passage though Baltimore was peacefully made, and, taking the cars of the Northern Central Railroad, the entire regiment reached Chambersburg, Pa., on the morning of Tuesday, June 11, when I immediately reported to Major-General Patterson for duty. Still proceeding by rail, we reached Greencastle at noon, and encamped. The command remained in camp at Greencastle until Saturday morning, when, in conjunction with the First Brigade of Major-General Patterson's column, under command of Colonel Thomas, the line of march was taken up for Williamsport, Md. That place was reached at noon, and occupied by the force of which this regiment formed a part.

On Sunday a portion of the battery of artillery was ordered across the Potomac to Falling Waters; but, in accordance with orders from Major-General Patterson, it was recalled on Monday, and the regiment, once more complete, commenced its march at an early hour for Frederick City. The route lay through Hagerstown, Boonsborough, and Middletown, and in these places the command was received with enthusiastic demonstrations of favor. The march continued through the entire day and a part of the following night, with an interval of three hours for rest at Boonsborough.

At 12.30 a. m. on Tuesday the regiment bivouacked in the immediate vicinity of Frederick, having accomplished a march of thirty-three miles.