101. Ibid. and Bobrowsky Tape One, p. l; Andrew Lewandowski, "I Feel Like I'm Fixin to Die ..." Letters and Transcriptions of Vietnam Marine Sergeant Andrew Lewandowski, Mar 1968-Jun1969, compiled and edited by Dr. Eugene R. Slaski (ms, Andrew Lewandowski Papers, MCHC), pp. 451-2.
102. Maj Edward F. Palm, "Tiger Papa Three: A Memoir of the Combined Action Program," Special preview supplement, Marine Corps Gazette, February, 1988, pp. 1-3, hereafter Palm, "Tiger Papa Three."
103. Brady Round Table.
104. Palm, "Tiger Papa Three," Part Two, "The Fire Next Time," p. 20, and Palm Comments. James DuGuid inrvw l4Octl984 (Oral HistColl, MCHC), hereafter DuGuid intvw.
105. Igor Bobrowsky intvw, 3Ded982, Tape Two, pp. 2-3, and 12 (Oral HistColl, MCHC), hereafter Bobrowsky intvw, Tape Two.
106. Ibid., pp. 8-9; Thomas Harvey, Comments on draft, dtd 13Nov94 (Vietnam Comment File); Ferguson intvw, p. 14.
107. Lam Ha Itr to Robert Klyman, dtd 31Jan86, Robert Klyman Papers, Personal Papers Collection, MCHC.
108. Thayet, "Pacification and Civil Affairs," v. 10, pp. 28-38, quote is from p. 38.
109. Peterson, The Combined Action Platoons, pp. 60-3. Harvey is quoted by Peterson, p. 61. See also Ferguson and DuGuid intvws.
110. Thayer, "Pacification and Civil Affairs," v. 10, pp. 36-7.
111. Bobrowsky intvw, Tape Two, p. 21; Michael E. Peterson, Comments on draft, dtd 10Nov94 (Vietnam Comment File); Lawrence A, Yates, "A Feather in Their Cap? The Marines' Combined Action Program in Vietnam" in William R. Roberts and Jack Sweetman, New Interpretations in Naval History, Selected Papers from the Ninth Naval History Symposium, Held at the United States Naval Academy, 18-20 October 1989 (Annapolis, MD: United States Naval Institute Press, 1991), pp. 309-22,p. 320.
112. Francis J. West, Comments on draft, dtd 2Ded994 (Vietnam Comment File). West's best known work on Combined Action is The Village (New York, Harper & Row, 1972). The Accelerated Pacification Plan
113. MACV ComdHist, 1968,1, pp. 521-2.
114. Ibid. 521-2 and 532-3; FMFPac, MarOpsV, Dec68, pp. 5,9,42,47, 57-8, 60, 62-3, 71-2. For continued progress in the Accelerated Pacification Campaign, see Smith, U.S. Marines in Vietnam, 1969, pp. 280-83. CHAPTER 30 OUTSIDE OF III MAF: THE SPECIAL LANDING FORCES, MARINE ADVISORS, AND OTHERS The 9th MAB and the SLFs
Additional sources for this section are 9th MAB ComdCs, Jan-Dec68; LtCol Ralph F. Moody and Benis M. Frank, "Special Landing Force," draft ms, 1972 (MCHC), hereafter Moody and Frank, "Special Landing Force," ms.
1. 9th MAB ComdC, Jan68.
2. Ibid.; MarOpsV, Jan68, p. 91.
3. TG 79.5 ComdC, Jan68.
4. Telfer, Rogers, and Fleming, Marines in Vietnam, 1967, pp. 176-79. LtCol McQuown is quoted on p. 176.
5. BGen Jacob Glick intvw, 20Jun and HJul89, p. 62 (Oral HistColl, MCHC), hereafter Glick intvw; CG9thMAB msgs to CGFMFPac, dtd 3 and 5Jan68, End 3 and 4, 3d MarDiv ComdC, Jan68.
6. CG9thMAB msg to CGFMFPac, dtd 15Jan68, HQMC Msg File, Reel No. 4; Glick inrvw, pp. 62-5.
7. Shulimson, U.S. Marines in Vietnam, 1966, pp. 299-305; CGFMFPac msg to CGIIIMAF, dtd 11Oct67 (HQMC Msg File, Reel 7).
8. CGIIIMAF msg to CGFMFPac, dtd l6Oct67 (HQMC Msg File, Reel 7).
9. Moody and Frank, "Special Landing Force," ms, Chapter 8.
10. MajGen Rathvon McC. Tompkins intvw, 1973, pp. 60-1 (Oral HistColl, MCHC), hereafter Tompkins intvw; Col Alexander L. Michaux debriefing at FMFPac, 18Jul68, Tape 2915 (Oral HistColl, MCHC).
11. Tompkins intvw, pp. 60-1; LtGen Donn J. Robertson intvw, 1973-76, p. 14 (Oral HistColl, MCHC); Gen Robert E. Cushman intvw, l Nov 1982, p. 45 (Oral HistColl, MCHC), hereafter Cushman intvw, 1982.
12. CGIIIMAF to CGs 1st and 3d MarDivs, dtd 19Dec67 (III MAF Outgoing Msgs, Oct-Dec67).
13. For discussion of the MACV contingency plan, see CGIIIMAF msgs to CGFMFPac, dtd 12 and 13Jan68 and CGFMFPac msg to CGIIIMAF, dtd 6Jan68 and to CMC, dtd 18Jan68 (HQMC Msg File, Reels 4 and 6).
14. CinCPac msg to ComUSMACV, dtd 19Jan68 (Westmoreland Papers, MACV msgs, Jan68); CinCPacFlt msg to CinCPac, dtd 20Jan68 (HQMC Msg Files, Reel 6).
15. LtCol Peter L. Hilgartner, "Amphibious Doctrine in Vietnam," Marine Corps Gazette, v. 53, no. l (Jan 1969), pp. 28-31. Quote is from p. 31.
16. Col Franklin L. Smith debriefing at FMFPac [May 1968} Tape 2904 (Oral HistColl, MCHC).
17. TG 79.5 ComdC, Jun68.
18. TG 79.5 ComdCs, Jul-Oct68.
19. BLT 2/26 ComdCs, Aug-Sep68. See also Corn, Seventh Fit, Monthly Summary, Aug68 (OAB, NHD), pp. 36-7.
20. III MAF Fact Sheet, Subj: SLF Employment, dtd Oct 1968, End 24, to CGIIIMAP Itr to distribution list, dtd 31Oct68, Subj: III MAF Fact Sheets, Asst CMC Visit, 28 Oct-4Nov68, hereafter III MAF Fact Sheet, SLF Deployment; 9th MAB ComdC, Oct68.
21. III MAF Fact Sheet, SLF Deployment; BLT 2/26 ComdCs, Oct-Nov68.
22. CARG Bravo, Operation Daring Endeavor, Post Operation Rpt, dtd 13Dec68 in TG 76.5 Opn Rpts, 1967-69; TG 79.5 ComdC, Nov68.
23. Blt 2/26 ComdC, Dec68. Quotes are from entry dtd 8Dec68, p. 9 and BLT 2/26 CAAR, Opn Valiant Hunt, 15Dec68-5Jan69, dtd !Jan69, tab A. Although Valiant Hunt AAR is dated l January 1968, it is obviously an error, as it contains entries through 5 January 1969, and is attached to the December 1968 ComdC.