from Hill is from Smith, U.S. Marines in Vietnam, 2969, p. 238.
37. BGen E. E. Anderson to McCutcheon, dtd 17 Oct 68 [No number on Irr}, File A, 1968 Cor, McCutcheon Papers and BGen E. E. Anderson, Comments on draft, dtd 18Dec94 (Vietnam Comment File).
38. "Command Relationship," (Col Barrow's submission for broader consideration), n.d. [Oct-Dec68?} Undated Notes, Quilter Papers.
40. MajGen Raymond G. Davis, Letter to editor, clipping from Marine Corps Gazette, Feb 1969, Quilter Papers.
42. Youngdale Report. For detailed discussion of the Youngdale Report see Smith, Marines in Vietnam, 1969, pp. 239^10.
43. Youngdale Report.
45. Armstrong intvw, pp. 14-5; LtGen Thomas H. Miller, Jr., Comments on draft ms. Smith, Marines in Vietnam, 1969, dtd 5Sep88 (Vietnam Comment File).3. CHAPTER 26 ARTILLERY AND RECONNAISSANCE
Unless otherwise noted the sources for this chapter are the FMFPac, MarOpsV, Jan-Dec68; III MAF ComdCs, Jan-Dec68; 3d MarDiv ComdCs, Jan-Dec68; 1st MarDiv ComdCs, Jan-Dec68; 11th Mar ComdCs, Jan-Dec68; 12th Mar ComdCs, Jan-Dec68; Charles R. Smith, The History of the 12th Marines, (MCHC, Washington, D.C., 1972), hereafter Smith, 12th Marines. Marine Artillery Reshuffles
1. 11th Mar ComdC, Jan68.
3. The sources for this and the following paragraph are: CG3dMarDiv msg to CGIIIMAF, dtd 7Jan68, End 13, 3d MarDiv ComdC, Jan68;
12th Mar ComdC, Dec68, p. 1-11-2; Smith, 12th Marines, p. 57.
4. Additional sources for this paragraph are; 12th Mar ComdC, Jan68;
CGIIIMAF msg to CGFMFPac, dtd HJan68, End 12, 1st MarDiv ComdC, Jan68.
5. LtCol Ralph Moody, "Artillery and Naval Gunfire," Chapter 21, in LtCol Ralph F. Moody, et al., "Marines in Vietnam, 1954-68," 8 pts (MS, MCHC, Washington, D.C., 1971), p. 34; 11th Mar, Opn Hue City Resume, 1-29 Feb68, App 2, Tab C, 11th Mar ComdC, Feb68;
11th Mar, Hue City Resume, !Feb-2Mar68, App 2, Tab c, 11th Mar ComdC, Mar68. The Guns in the North
6. Capt Moyers S. Shore, III, The Battle for Khe Sanh (Washington:
Hist&Mus Div, HQMC, 1969), pp. 42-3; Maj Jerry E. Hudson, Comments on "The Battle for Khe Sanh," 2Jan69 (Khe Sanh Comment File, MCHC).
7. 26th Mar AAR for Opn Scotland, 31May68, p. 4, in 26th Mar ComdC, Mar68, pt. IV.
8. 12th Mar ComdCs, Jan-Mar68; 3d MarDiv ComdCs, Jan-Mar68;
FMFPac, MarOpsV, Mar68, p. 3.
9. 12th Mar, ComdC, Pt III, Apr68, p. l-III-l.
10. 3d MarDiv ComdC, Mar68, p. 23^i, Apr68, pp. 23^; l2th Mar ComdC, May68, pp. 1-11-2-\-\\-A.
11. Gen Robert E. Cushman intvw, lNov82, p. 74 (Oral HistColl, MCHC).
12. LtGen Louis Metzger, unpublished manuscript, n.p., n.d., pp 99-100.
13. 3d MarDiv ComdCs, Mar-Apr68; l2th Mar ComdCs, Mar-May68.
14. l2th Mar ComdC, May68, pp. 1-III-6-1-III-8. Mini-Tet and the Fall of Ngog Tavak and Kham Duc
15. 11th Mar ComdC, Feb-Mar68; 2/13 ComdC, Jan-Feb68, p. 6.
16. 11th Mar ComdC, Apr68, p. 2.
17. 11th Mar ComdCs, Apr-May68; 2/13 ComdCs, Apr-May68; Ronald H. Spector, After Tet, The Bloodiest Year in Vietnam (The Free Press, New York, New York, 1993), pp. 166-67, hereafter Spector, After Tet.
18. S-AJnl, 10May68, End l, and CO, 2/13 Itr to CMC, dtd 25May68, Subj: Meritorious Unit Commendation; recommendation for, and End, App l, S-1 Jnl, 2/13 ComdC, May68, hereafter 2/13 Itt to CMC, 25May68; Spector, After Tet, p. 167.
19. Paul Drew Stevens, ed., The Navy Cross, Vietnam, Citations of Awards to Men of the United States Navy and the United States Marine Corps, 1964-1973 (Forest Ranch, CA: Sharp & Dunnigan Publications Inc., 1987), pp. 291-2.
20. Ibid., pp. 72-3.
21. 2/13 Itr to CMC, 25May68 with enclosures; Spector, After Tet, pp. 168-9.
22. FMFPac, MarOpsV, May68, p. 72; Spector, After Tet, pp. 169-71.
23. Col Franklin L. Smith debriefing at FMFPac [May 1968], Tape 2904 (Oral HistColl, MCHC); BGen Jacob E. Glick, Comments on draft, n.d. [Dec94?] (Vietnam Comment File); Spector, After Tet, pp. 169-75. For Abrams quote, see Spector, After Tet, p. 175.
Operations Drumfire II and Thor-Guns Across the Border
24. l2th Mar AAR, Opn Drumfire II, dtd 3Jun68, Tab b, l2th Mar ComdC, Jun68.
26. Ibid. and CO l2th Marines memo to CG3d MarDiv, dtd 4Jun68, Subj: Addendum to Opn Drumfire II AAR, Tab A, l2th Mar ComdC, Jun68.
27. l2th Mar ComdC, Jun68, p. 1-III-7.
28. CGProvCorpsV msg to CGIIIMAF, dtd 22Jun68, End 16, 3d MarDiv ComdC, Jun68.
29. ProvCorpsV OpO 15-68, dtd 24Jun68, End 18, 3d MarDiv ComdC, Jun68.
30. XXIV Corps AAR, Opn Thor, dtd l6Aug68 in 3d MarDiv, USA After Action Reports, hereafter XXIV Corps AAR; PCV Preliminary AAR, Opn Thor, dtd 12Jul68 in 3d MarDiv ComdC, Jul68; VMCJ-1 ComdC, Jul68.
31. XXIV Corps AAR.
32. 1st MAW ComdC, Jun68; FMFPac, MarOpsV, Jul68, pp. 7-10.
33. l2th Mar ComdC, Jun68.
34. 1st MAW ComdC, Jul68.