IstLt John R. Morse, USA, Thua Thien Sector, S-2 Order of Battle Advisor in Hue, RVN, intvw, 8Mar68 (U.S. Army, 45th Military History Detachment, Interview Enclosures Folder, Nolan Papers, MCHC).
31 - Additional source for this and the following paragraph is; Rand Interview No. 28 in Interviews concerning the NLF, May 1968, Folder 2, Tet Box, A&S Files, Indochina Archives.
32. Additional source for this paragraph is: I Corps, Tactical Opns Center to III MAF, Resume of Telecon, dtd 6Feb68 (Hue City III MAF Jnl & Msg File).
33. Truong Sinh, "The Fight to Liberate the City of Hue," p. 90.
34. Truong Sinh, "The Fight to Liberate the City of Hue," pp. 105-7;
Pham Van Son, The Tet Offensive, pp. 271-84; Westmoreland and Sharp, Report on the War, p. 160; Lung, The General Offensives p. 85;
Oberdorfer, Tet!, pp. 232-33; Braestrup, Big Story, vol. I, pp. 201-16.
35. Gravel intvw, pp. 2-3.
36. 14th MHD, "The Battle of Hue," Mar68; Tolson Intvw, Jun68, p. 5; Col Talman C. Budd II, Comments on draft, dtd 30Mar95 (Vietnam Comment File).
37. 1/5 AAR Hue City; Thompson Itr, 16Sep80, Nolan Papers.
38. The sources for this and the following paragraph are: TF X-Ray AAR Hue City; 1st Mar AAR Hue City.
39. TF X-Ray AAR Hue City.
40. 1st Mar AAR Hue City; LtCol Ernest C. Cheatham in Cheatham et al. intvw, Tape 2511.
41. 1st Marines AAR Hue City.
42. Ibid. and TF X-Ray AAR Hue City.
43. 1st Marines AAR Hue City; Maj Jack E. Walker intvw, 9 Mar 68 (U.S. Army, 45th Military History Detachment, Interview Enclosures Folder, Nolan Papers, MCHC).
44. Pham Van Son, The Tet Offensive, p. 281; Gravel intvw, p. 42.
45. MajGen Kerwin C/S MACV msg to BGen Anderson, C/S III MAF, dtd 27Feb68 and Gen Westmoreland ComUSMACV, msg to LtGen Cushman CGIIIMAF, dtd 28Feb68 (III MAF Incoming Messages)
46. CGIIIMAF msg to CGlstMarDiv and CGTFX-Ray, dtd 26Feb68 (III MAF Outgoing Msgs); Gen Abrams msg to Gen Westmoreland, dtd 2Mar68 (EO Files, Abrams Papers, CMH), hereafter Abrams msg to Westmoreland, 2Mar68.
47. Abrams msg to Westmoreland, 2Mar68.
49. LCpl M. VernonJr. in Cheatham et al. intvw, Tape 2511; W. Roger Lansbury with Daniel F. Ring, editor, "Notes Between Two Worlds: The Diary of Roger Lansbury, 2d Battalion, 5th Marines," The Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography, Summer 1985, pp. 257-97, p. 296.
50. Gravel intvw, p. 42; Cheatham et al. presentation, pp. 57-59.
51. Clipping "18 Days Under the Bed," Washington Post, n.d. and clipping, "Hue Marines: Bitter as They Are Brave," Washington Post, dtd 20Feb68 (Washington Post Clipping File, Peter Braestrup Papers).
52. Budd, AAR and LtCol Joseph W. Malcolm, Jr., debriefing at FMFPac, 28Oct68, Tape 3453 (Oral HistColl, MCHC).
53. Abrams msg to Westmoreland, dtd 5Mar68 (Abrams Papers, CMH); Westmoreland msg to Abrams, dtd 26Feb68 (EO File, Abrams Papers, CMH); CG III MAF to subordinate commands, dtd 28Feb68 (III MAF Outgoing Files).
PART III After Tet, Khe Sanh, and Mini-Tet CHAPTER 13 POST-TET IN I CORPS
Unless otherwise noted the sources in this chapter are derived from MACV ComdHist, 1968; HQMC Msg File; HQMC, Status of Forces, 1968; FMFPac, MarOpsV, 1967-1968; III MAF ComdCs, Feb-Apr68;
III MAF Jnl & Msg Files; III MAF Provisional Corps Folder, hereafter PCV Folder; Waldron and Beavers, "The Critical Year"; 1st MarDiv ComdCs, Feb-Apr68; 3d MarDiv ComdCs, Feb-Apr68; Westmoreland Papers, CMH; A&S Files, Indochina Archives; Westmoreland, A Soldier Reports', Sharp and Westmoreland, Report on the War; Lung, The General Offensives; Pearson, The War in the Northern Provinces. The Immediate Ramifications of the Tet Offensive
l. Sharp and Westmoreland, Report on the War, p. 161; MACV ComdHist, 1968, pp. 161-62; LtGen Robert E. Cushman, Jr., III MAF Presentation, General Officers Symposium Book, July 1968, tab F, pp. 1-8, hereafter Cushman Presenration. See also FMFPac, MarOpsV, Jun68, p. 5.
2. Circular from COSVN, trans., dtd 31Jan68, in U.S. Mission, Press Release, dtd 29Mar68, A&S Files, Indochina Archives, hereafter COSVN Circular, 31Jan68; War Experiences Recapitulation Committee of the High-Level Military Institute, The Anti-U.S. Resistance War for National Salvation, trans by Foreign Broadcast Information Service (Hanoi: People's Army Publishing Houses, 1980) (Joint Publications Research Service No. 80968, dtd 3Jun82], p. 110; Pham Van Son, Tet Offensive, pp. 475-6.
3. COSVN Circular, 31Jan68; CT/AB (Unknown provincial headquarters), Directive No. l, dtd 10Feb68; COSVN Communique, dtd 13Feb68; PLAF, 3d Special Communique, dtd 26Feb68. All in A&S Files, Indochina Archives.
4. Sharp and Westmoreland, Report on the War, p. 235; Lung, The General Offensives, pp. 39^(1; FMFPac, MarOpsV, Jan68, pp 3-4; Westmoreland, A Soldier Reports, pp. 322-23; LtGen Philip B. Davidson, USA, Vietnam at War, The History: 1946-1975 (Novato, CA; Presidio Press, 1988), p. 474; Cushman Presentation, tab F, pp. 1-8; 58-9;
BGen John R. Chaisson, Itr to wife, dtd l lFeb68 (Chaisson Papers).
5. Lyndon B. Johnson, The Vantage Point: Perspectives of the Presidency, 1963-1969 (New York: Holt, Rinehart, and Winston, 1968), pp. 384-5.
6. Messages quoted in Herbert Y. Schandler, The Unmaking of a President, Lyndon Johnson and Vietnam (Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press, 1977), pp. 92-93, 95.
7. Ibid., pp. 94-5. Readjustment in I Corps
8. FMFPac MarOpsV, Feb68, pp. 89-90, 103; 5th MarDiv, RLT 27 Deployment AAR, dtd 8May68; 27th Mar ComdC, Feb68; Cushman Intvw, Nov82, p. 80; BGen Foster C. LaHue debriefing at FMFPac, Apr68, Tape 2932 (Oral HistColl, MCHC), hereafter LaHue debriefing.
9. FMFPac, MarOpsV, Feb68, p. 104; III MAF ComdC, Feb68; Pear-son, The War in the Northern Provinces, pp. 58-9, 68; Waldron and Beavers, "The Critical Year," p. 19; TF X-Ray ComdC, Feb68, pt 2. Pearson states that nearly 45,000 Army reinforcements arrived in I Corps during January and February, but it is obvious that the author confused the total number of Army troops in I Corps with the number of reinforcements.