64. Ibid.; III MAF PerIntRpt No. 2-68, 15Jan68; 1st MarDiv PerIntRpt No. 1-68, 8Jan68; IIIMAF to FMFPac, dtd 7Jan68 (III MAF Special Rpt to FMFPac Folder).
65. 1/5 ComdC, Jan68; IIIMAF msgs to FMFPac, dtd ll-15Jan68 (III MAF Special Rpt to FMFPac Folder). The Formation and Deployment of Task Force X-Ray
66. "History of Task Force X-Ray," n.d.. Attachment to Col A. J. Poil-lon, comments on Maj Thomas Donnelly and Capt Moyers S. Shore II, "Ho Chi Minh's Gamble," in LtCol Ralph F. Moody, et al., "Marines in Vietnam, 1954-68," 8 pts (ms, MCHC, 1971), pt VI, dtd 30Oct69 (Vietnam Comment Files), hereafter "History of Task Force X-Ray," Poillon Comments; CG 1st MarDiv msg to CG TF X-Ray, dtd 3Dec67, End 57 and 1st MarDiv OpO 309-68, 18Dec67, End 45, 1st MarDiv ComdC, Dec67, hereafter 1st MarDiv OpO 309-68, 18Dec67.
67. 1st MarDiv OpO 309-68, 18Dec67.
68. Ibid; 1st MarDiv ComdC, Dec67, p. 18; CG 1st MarDiv msgs to CG 3d MarDiv, dtd 15Dec 67, End 58, and dtd 23Dec67, End 63, 1st MarDiv ComdC, Dec67; CG3d MarDiv msg to CG 1st MarDiv, n.d., End 44, 3d MarDiv ComdC, Dec67; LtCol A. Van Winkle et al. intvw, 25Jan68, Tape 2478 (Oral HistColl, MCHC), hereafter Van Winkle Intvw; 1/5 ComdC, Dec67.
69. 1st MarDiv FragO 4-68, l lJan68, 3d MarDiv Messages, Jan 1968.
70. III MAF COC, Resume of telecon, 15Jan68 in III MAF Special Report to FMFPac, Jan68; 5th Mar ComdC, Jan68; TF X-Ray ComdC, 13-3 lJan68.
71. Bohn Intvw, Apr89 and May89, pp. 272-3, 278.
72. Bohn Intvw, pp. 274-78; SSgt Donald O. Taylor in LtCol A. Van Winkle et al. Intvw.
73. Bohn Intvw, pp. 274-8, 308; LtCol Joseph W. Malcolm debriefing at FMFPac, 28Oct68, Tape 3453, (Oral HistColl, MCHC); LtCol James C. Hecker in LtCol A. Van Winkle et al. Intvw.
74. Task Force X-Ray OpO 301-68, 12Jan68, End 36, 1st MarDiv, ComdC, Jan68.
75. CG3dMarDiv msg to CGIIIMAF, dtd 4Oct67, HQMC Msg File, III MAF, Incoming; Cushman intvw, Nov 82, p. 8; HQMC, Status of Forces, Dec 1967-Jan68, pp. 31-1; Clarke, The Final Years, p. 334;
Col Hoang Ngoc Lung, The General Offensives of 1968-69, Indochina Monographs, (Washington. D.C.: CMH, 1981), p. 78. The Cavalry Arrives
76. MACV ComdHist, 1968, v. l, pp. 23-4; 3d MarDiv ComdC, Dec67, p. 16; 4th Marines, CAAR, Opn Cumberland, dtd 11Oct67 (4th Marines Miscellaneous Reports); Cushman Intvws, Nov82 and Mar68, pp. 25 and 490; Murray Intvw, pp. 55-6; CGFMFPac msg to CMC, dtd 8Dec67, HQMC Msg File.
77. MACV ComdHist, 1968, v. l, pp. 23^; Entry for 16Dec67, Historical Summary, 29Nov67-16Dec67, and HQMACV C/S Action Memo, No 67-178, subj: CUB Meeting, 16 Dec 67, dtd 17 Dec 67, v. 22, History File, Westmoreland Papers, CMH; CGIIIMAF msg to CGFMFPac, dtd 16Dec67, HQMC Msg File; MajGen John J. Tolson intvw, 24Jun68, 14th MHD (Copy in CMH), hereafter Tolson Intvw. 78. Tolson Intvw; Westmoreland msgs to Sharp and Wheeler, dtd 12 and 15Jan68, Backchannel Messages and C/S Memo No. 68, dtd l4Jan68, v.28, History File, 22Dec67-31Jan68, Westmoreland Papers.
79. Westmoreland msg to Sharp and Wheeler, 15Jan68 and Entry for 17Jan68, Historical Summary, v. 28, History File, Westmoreland Papers.
80. See for the York II planing CGIIIMAF msgs to CGFMFPac, dtd 26 and 28Dec67, 3 and 12Jan68, and CGFMFPac msg to CGIIIMAF, dtd 6Jan68 (HQMC Msg File). For the Niagara planning and General Westmoreland's concerns see ComUSMACV msg to CinCPac dtd 2 lJan68 and Entry for 19Jan68, Summary, v. 28, History File, 27Dec67-3 lJan68, Westmoreland Papers.
81. Westmoreland entry for 19Jan68, Historical Summary; CinCPac msg to ComUSMACV, dtd 19Jan68, Back Channel Messages, Westmoreland Papers.
82. Tolson Intvw; III MAF to FMFPac, 23Jan68 (Special FMFPac Rpt Folder).
83. Tolson Intvw.
84. Ibid.; III MAF ComdC, Jan68; BGen Herbert L. Beckington, Comments, dtd 25Oct69 in BGen Edwin H. Simmons, Comment Files on May 1970 Naval Review article. The Changed Situation in the North
85. 1st Mar ComdC, Jan68; 1st Mar, CAAR Opn Neosho II, dtd 22Feb68, tab J, 1st Mar ComdC, Jan 68; CGIIIMAF, CG3dMarDiv, CTF76.4, CTF 79.4, and BLT 2/4, exchange of msgs, 3d MarDiv, Messages, Jan68.
86. 1st Mar ComdC, Jan68; 1st Mar, CAAR Opn Neosho II, dtd 22Feb68, tab J, 1st Mar ComdC, Jan 68; 1st Mar OpO 3-68, dtd 26Jan68, tab G, 1st Mar ComdC, Jan68.
87. 1st Mar ComdC, Jan68; 1st Mar OpO 3-68, dtd 26Jan68, tab g, 1st Mar ComdC, Jan68; CGlstMarDiv msg to CGTFX-Ray, dtd 24Jan68, End 20, 1st MarDiv ComdC, Jan68; Bohn Intvw, pp. 279-80.
88. 5th Mar ComdC, Jan68 and 1/5 ComdC, Jan68.
89. 5th Mar ComdC, Jan68; 5th Mar OpO 301-68, dtd 18 Jan68, End 17 and 5th Mar FragO 7-68, dtd 25Jan68, End 52, 5th Mar ComdC, Jan68; 2/5 ComdC, Jan68.
90. TF X-Ray ComdC, Jan68; "History of Task Force X-Ray," Poillon Comments.
91. Historical Summary, General Entry, 27Dec67-3 lJan68, Entry for 22Jan68, History File, v. 28, Westmoreland Papers; Westmoreland msg to Wheeler, dtd 22Jan68 and Westmoreland msg to Sharp and Wheeler, dtd 26Jan68, Westmoreland Messages, Westmoreland Papers; John R. Chaisson, entries for 26-28 Jan68, Diary, Chaisson Papers; Cushman Intvw, Mar69, pp. 459-60 and 465-66.
92. CGFMFPac msg to CMC, dtd 27Jan68 and CGIIIMAF msg to CGFMFPac, dtd 27Jan68 (HQMC Msg File); Abrams msg to Cushman, dtd 31Jan68, Creighton B. Abrams Papers, CMH; MACV msg to III MAF, dtd 3Feb68 (III MAF Incoming Msgs); Cushman FMFPac debriefing; Maj Miles D. Waldron and Spec 5 Richard W. Beavers, XXIV Corps, "The Critical Year, 1968," pp. 4-5 (CMH); LtGen Willard Pearson, USA, The War in the Northern Provinces, 1966-1968, Vietnam Studies (Washington, D.C. Dept of the Army, 1975); Westmoreland, A Soldier Reports, p. 345.