5. Copy of LtGen Victor H. Krulak personal Itr to Hon Robert S. McNamara, Secretary of Defense, dtd HNov65 (LtGen Victor H. Krulak Personal Papers Collection (PC 486) Hist&MusDiv, HQMC).
Further Deployments and Realinements
Additional material for this section is derived from: HQMC, General Officer Symposium Book, dtd 15Jul66, hereafter 1966 General Officer Symposium Book.
6. MACVComdHist, 1965, p. 26.
7. ''The Chief of Staff's Overview," Sec. IIB, 1966 General Officer Symposium Book, p. 3.
Refinement of Command Relations
Additional source for this section is Col Don P. Wyckoff, intvw by HQMC, dtd 5Jun67 (No. 762 Oral Hist Coll, Hist&MusDiv, HQMC), hereafter Wyckoff Intvw.
8. CGIIIMAF msg dtd 12Aug65, encl 3, III MAF ComdC, Aug65.
9. I Corps Senior Advisor, I Corps Advisory Group Itr to ComUSMACV, dtd 27Jul65, Subj: I Corps Advisory Group Responsibilities, end 2, App l. III MAF ComdC, Aug65.
10. See CGIIIMAF msg to CGFMFPac, dtd 300ct65 (HQMC Msg File) and MACV Comd Hist, 1965, pp. 97-98.
11. Wyckoff Intvw.
12. FMFPac, III MAF Ops, Mar-Sep65, p. 14.
Expanding the TAORs
13. CGIIIMAF Itr to CGICorps, dtd 13Sep65, Subj: Expansion of Currently Assigned TAOR at Da Nang, encl l, III MAF ComdC, Sep65.
14. BGen Nguyen Chanh Thi, CGICorps, Itr to CGIIIMAF, encl 2, III MAF ComdC, Sep65.
15. Col Sumner A, Vale, Comments on draft MS, Shulimson, "USMC Ops RVN, Jul-Dec65," dtd 4Jun71 (Vietnam Comment File).
Attacks on the Airfields and Hill 22
Additional material for this section is derived from: CGIIIMAF Itr to CGFMFPac, n.d., Subj: Report of Viet Cong Attack of Marble Mountain Air Facility and Chu Lai Airfield of 280ct65, encl 6, III MAF ComdC, Oct65, hereafter Viet Cong Attack Report; l/l ComdC, Oct65; Brown Intvw; Karch Intvw.
16. Brown Intvw, p. 19.
17. Karch Intvw.
18. O'Connor Comments.
19. Ibid., and Viet Cong Attack Report.
20. Viet Cong Attack Report.
21. 3d MarDiv ComdC, Oct65, p.7.
22. CO 9th Marines Itr to CG3dMarDiv, dtd 30Oct65, Subj: Special Report of Squad-sized Ambush Conducted on 27Oct65, encl 4, 9th Marines ComdC, Oct65.
24. Viet Cong Attack Report, p. 9.
25. l/l AAR No. 3, dtd 31Oct65, encl 15, l/l ComdC, Oct 65.
26. Hist&MusDiv, Memo for the Record, dtd 14 Oct 76, Subj: Oral Comments of MajGen Harold A. Hatch on draft MS (Vietnam Comment File).
27. Telephone con between Capt Robert H. Whitlow and GySgt Russel L. Kess, dtd 10Jul73.
28. CGFMFPac msg to CMC, dtd 30Oct65 (HQMC Msg File).
29. 3d Marines ComdC, Oct 65, p. 21.
30. 1/1 ComdC, Nov65,p.6.
31. CGFMFPac msg to CMC, dtd 28Oct65 (HQMC Msg File).
Additional material for this section is derived from: BGen Edwin H. Simmons, Comments on draft MS, Shulimson, ''Marines in Vietnam, pt 2," dtd 2Jan70 (Vietnam Comment File), hereafter Simmons Comments, Jan 70.
32. Col George W. Carrington, Comments on draft MS, dtd 24Nov76 (Vietnam Comment File), hereafter Carrington Comments.
33. Briefing for MajGen Larsen, CGUSATFA and MajGen Kinnard, CGlstAirCavDiv, dtd 15Sep65, encl to Simmons Comments, Jan 70.
34. III MAF G-3 Section, Agenda Subject, Base Defense Command, dtd 40ct65, encl, Simmons Comments, Jan 70.
35. Carrington Comments.
36. Dennis Comments, 76.
37. 3/9 OpO 321A-65, dtd 14Sep65, encl 3, 3/9 ComdC, Sep65.
38. 3d MarDiv OpO 327-65, dtd 15Aug65, encl l, 3d MarDiv ComdC, Aug65.
39. III MAF G-3 Section, Agenda Subject, War Dog Requirements, dtd 4Jan66, encl 10, III MAF ComdC, Jan66.
40. Carrington Comments.
41. LtCol Harold A. Hatch, intvw by MCB, CamPen, dtd 6Jul66 (No. 156, Oral Hist Coll, Hist&MusDiv, HQMC), hereafter Hatch Intvw.
Additional material for this section is derived from 1/7 ComdC, Dec65; 1/9 ComdC, Dec65; LtGen Lewis W. Walt, intvw by III MAF, dtd 30Jan67 (No. 337, Oral Hist Coll, Hist&MusDiv, HQMC), hereafter Walt Intvw; Hatch Intvw; LtCol James P. Kelly, intvw by MCS, Quantico, dtd 180ct66 (No. 229, Oral Hist Coll, Hist&MusDiv, HQMC), hereafter Kelly Intvw.
42. Walt Intvw.
43. 3d MarDiv ComdCs, Oct and Dec65.
44. Hatch Intvw.
45. Kelly Intvw.
46. MCCC, Items of Significant Interest, dtd 5Dec65.
47. Kelly Intvw.
48. CO 1/9 Itr to CO 9th Marines, dtd 30Dec65, Subj: Special Report of Company B patrol of 27Dec65, encl 5,1/9 ComdC, Dec65.
Page 220 (1965: The Landing and the Buildup)