THESE ARE ARCHIVED PAGES OF THE OLD EHISTORY SITE
These pages are not actively maintained and may have errors in content and functionality

eHistory Archive Logo
THESE ARE ARCHIVED PAGES OF THE OLD EHISTORY SITE
click here for the NEW eHistory site
These pages are not actively maintained and may have errors in content and functionality
icon: the new eHistory
click to see our Origins feature click to see our Multimedia histories click to see our Book Reviews
Ancient History Middle Ages Civil War World War II Vietnam War Middle East World
      eHistory  >  World History  >  Military  >  Major Conflicts  >  Peebles’ Farm ... Search
A Moment in Time
Articles
Biographies
Books
Countries
Glossary
HistoryLists
Images & Maps
Military
Personal Histories
Timelines
Peebles’ Farm (1864)
 
War:   American Civil War
 
Also known as:   Poplar Springs Church, Wyatt’s Farm, Chappell’s House, Pegram’s Farm, Vaughan Road, Harmon Road
 
Date(s):   30 Sep 1864 - 2 Oct 1864
 
Location:   Dinwiddie County, Virginia, US
 
Outcome:   Union victory
 
Principal   Commanders:   Confederate: Ambrose P. Hill
Union: George G. Meade
 
Description:   John G. Parke, and G.K. Warren, USA
Maj. Gen. Wade Hampton, CSA

Both sides engaged Corps.

There were just under 4,000 casualties all told.

In combination with Ben Butler’s offensive north of the James River, Grant extended his left flank to cut Confederate lines of communication southwest of Petersburg. Two divisions of the IX corps under Maj. Gen. John G. Parke, two divisions of the V Corps under Maj. Gen. G.K. Warren, and Brig. Gen. David M. Gregg’s cavalry division were assigned to the operation.

On September 30, the Federals marched via Poplar Spring Church to reach the Squirrel Level and Vaughan Roads. The initial Federal attack overran Fort Archer, outflanking the Confederate line along the Squirrel Level Road, so they withdrew. In late afternoon Confederate reinforcements arrived, and the strengthened defense slowed the Federal advance.

On October 1, AP Hill headed a Confederate counterattack, but it was repulsed. Reinforced by Maj. Gen. Gershom Mott’s division, the Federals resumed their advance on the 2nd, captured Fort MacRae which was lightly defended, and extended their left flank to the vicinity of Peebles’ and Pegram’s Farms. With these limited successes, Meade suspended the offensive. A new line was entrenched from the Federal works on Weldon Railroad to Pegram’s Farm.


Content provided by:
eHistory Staff

Selected sources:
American Battlefield Protection Program, Heritage Preservation Services, National Park Service.



About | Contact


All images and content are the property of eHistory at The Ohio State University unless otherwise stated.
Copyright © 2014 OSU Department of History. All rights reserved.
THESE ARE ARCHIVED PAGES OF THE OLD EHISTORY SITE
These pages are not actively maintained and may have errors in content and functionality