THESE ARE ARCHIVED PAGES OF THE OLD EHISTORY SITE
These pages are not actively maintained and may have errors in content and functionality

eHistory Archive Logo
THESE ARE ARCHIVED PAGES OF THE OLD EHISTORY SITE
click here for the NEW eHistory site
These pages are not actively maintained and may have errors in content and functionality
icon: the new eHistory
click to see our Origins feature click to see our Multimedia histories click to see our Book Reviews
Ancient History Middle Ages Civil War World War II Vietnam War Middle East World
      eHistory  >  American Civil War Search
Articles
Battles
Biographies
Books
Book Reviews
Civil War Daily
Essays & Papers
FAQ
Glossary
HistoryLists
Images
Interactive
Letters & Diaries
Maps
Medicine
Newsletter
Official Records
Periodicals
Regimental Units
FEATURES: CIVIL WAR UNITS: 5th South Carolina Cavalry Regiment, CSA [BACK]

5th South Carolina Cavalry Regiment
Company C
(Beech Hill Rangers)

This company was raised in the Beech Hill section of St. Paul's Parish, Colleton District, during the summer of 1861, by Wheeler G. Smith, a local farmer. It was assigned to the 1st (Martin's) SC Mounted Militia Regiment in September 1861, and called to active duty in response to the Federal occupation of Port Royal on 8 November 1861. Following the disbanding of Martin's Regiment, the unit was mustered into Confederate service on 2 April 1862, as Co. D, 6th (Jeffords') Battalion SC Cavalry.


Company C 6th/17th Bn 5th Cav  
Names Co. D Co. C Disposition
Smith, W. G. Captain Captain Resigned, 15 May 1864.
Larisey, J. E. 1LT 1LT  
Raysor, G. W. 2LT 2LT  
Willis, R. A. 2LT 2LT  

Record of Events:

Co. D, 6th/17th Battalion SC Cavalry:


2 Apr 1862. Station: Chehaw, SC

Sep & Oct 1862. Station: Not stated [Green Pond, SC].

On the 1st Oct., this Company moved with the Battalion from Camp of Chisolmville to the present Camp in the immediate vicinity of Green Pond Depot, distance about seven miles. On the 23 Oct., orders were received from Col. W. S. Walker for the Battalion to proceed immediately to Salkehatchie Bridge to protect it and there await further orders, as the abolitionists were marching in force from Mackey's Point to the Rail Road. We remained at Salkehatchie Bridge until the following night when we were relieved & we returned to Camp. Distance marched in all about 40 miles.

31 Dec 1862. Station: Green Pond, SC.

Co. C, 5th SC Cavalry:


21 Jan 1863. Station: Green Pond, SC.

Jan & Feb 1863. Station: Green Pond, SC.

Mar & Apr 1863. Station: Not stated [Charleston, SC].

This company moved from Green Pond, S.C., on the 27 inst. to Charleston, S.C., distance marched about fifty miles.

May & Jun 1863. Station: James Island, SC.

The Company moved from Charleston to James Island June 30, 1863, to relieve Capt. A. B. Mulligan's Company [B]. Distance traveled in all about 8 miles.

Jul & Aug 1863. Station: Dills Bluff, James Island, SC

This Company was engaged in the fight on 16 Jul 1863 at Grimball's Landing (Secessionville).

Sep & Oct 1863. Station: James Island, SC.

Nov & Dec 1863. Station: James Island, SC.

Jan & Feb 1864. Station: Not stated.

1 Mar–31 Aug 1864. Station: Near Gravelly Run, VA.

The Company has been engaged in the following Skirmishes and Battles:

Battle of Chester [Station], 10 May 1864;  Battle of Drewry's Bluff, 15 May 1864;  Battle of South Side, 16 May 1864;  Battle of Charles City (Wilson's Wharf/Kennen's Point), 24 May 1864;  Battle of Haws Shop, 28 May 1864;  Battle of Coal Harbor, 30 May 1864;  Battle of Louisa C.H., 11 June 1864;  Battle of Trevilian Station, 12 June 1864;  Battle of White House, 20 June 1864;  Battle of Nancys Shop, 24 June 1864;  Battle of Stoney Creek, 29 June 1864;  Skirmish Gravel Run, 23 August 1864.

Sep & Oct 1864. Station: In the field [VA].

 

If you have any information about these troops or these units, please contact:
Fred Knudsen



FEATURES: CIVIL WAR UNITS: 5th South Carolina Cavalry Regiment, CSA [BACK]


About | Contact


All images and content are the property of eHistory at The Ohio State University unless otherwise stated.
Copyright © 2014 OSU Department of History. All rights reserved.
THESE ARE ARCHIVED PAGES OF THE OLD EHISTORY SITE
These pages are not actively maintained and may have errors in content and functionality