The Second Alabama Cavalry Regiment was organized at Montgomery on 1 May 1862. It proceeded to West Florida and operated there about ten months, engaging in several skirmishes. Ordered to north Mississippi, the regiment was placed with Brig. Gen'l Daniel Ruggles. It then lost 8 men in a skirmish at Mud Creek. It was then placed in Brig. Gen'l Samuel W. Ferguson's Brigade and operated in the Tennessee Valley, taking part in numerous skirmishes. The 2nd fought Union Gen'l Benjamin H. Grierson at Okolona with a loss of about 70 men killed and wounded; then it harassed Union Gen'l William T. Sherman on his march to and from Mississippi. Joining Gen'l Joseph Wheeler, the 2nd performed arduous duty on the flank of the army in the Dalton-Atlanta Campaign, losing a number of men in the battle on the 22nd of July at Atlanta. Having accompanied Gen'l John Bell Hood to Rome, the 2nd then fell on Sherman's rear and skirmished almost daily with some losses. The regiment tracked Sherman to Greensboro, NC, then escorted President Jefferson Davis to Georgia. At Forsyth, in that state, the regiment surrendered its arms, about 450 men.
Field and staff officers: Cols. Fountain Winston Hunter (Montgomery; relieved); Richard Gordon Earle (Calhoun; KIA, Kingston, GA, 14 May 1864); John N. Carpenter (Greene); Lt. Cols. James Cunningham (Monroe; resigned, 1863); John Porter West (Shelby; resigned, 2 Dec 1862); John N. Carpenter (promoted); Josiah James Pegues (Tuscaloosa; wounded, Nickajack); Majors Mathew Robinson Marks (Montgomery; relieved); John N. Carpenter (promoted); Josiah James Pegues (promoted); Richard W. Carter (Butler); Leroy Napier (temporary); and Adjutant James M. Bullock (Greene).
The Fourth Alabama Cavalry Battalion (Love's) was made up of three companies, "A", "B", and "C", organized from Alabama between August and September 1863, which went to Virginia in 1864. They were consolidated with the Phillips' [GA] Legion, Wade Hampton's Cavalry Battalion (May to 11 July 1864). Then they merged into the Jeff. Davis [MS] Cavalry Legion. They were involved in some hard fighting at The Wilderness, Spotsylvania Court House, North Anna, 2nd Cold Harbor, Trevilian Station, and the Petersburg Siege. From Pike County, Co. "A" (Capt. Andrew P. Love) became Co. "H" in the Jeff. Davis Legion; from Barbour County, Co. "B" (Capt. Bethune B. McKenzie) became Co. "I"; and also from Barbour County, Co. "C" (Capt. G. A. Roberts) became Co. "K".
Officers: As above, Capts. Andrew P. Love (captured, Dinwiddie); Bethune B. McKenzie; and G. A. Roberts.
The 4th Alabama Cavalry Regiment (Roddey's) was formed at Tuscumbia in October, 1862, and moved to middle Tennessee where it wintered. Recruits were from Franklin, Lauderdale, Lawrence, and Walker counties. During the early spring, 1863, the regiment was sent to the Tennessee River Valley in Northern Alabama, assigned to General Phillip Dale Roddey's Brigade where it took an active part in raiding and attacking the Federals, including meeting Union Gen'l Grenville Dodge's advance below Tuscumbia, and in helping to thwart Union Col. Abel D. Streight's Raid into Alabama. The regiment was publicly commended in April, 1863, by Gen'l Braxton Bragg for its good discipline and order. In April, 1864, the regiment was transferred to the Dept. of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisiana. After fighting at Brice's Cross Roads [also called Tishomingo Creek] with heavy losses, it saw action in various conflicts from Montevallo to Selma, including the defense against Union Gen'l James Wilson's Raid. At Selma, on 2 April 1865, most of the unit was captured. The remaining part surrendered at Pond Spring. The regiment's first colonel, Philip Dale Roddy, who raised an independent cavalry company before he commanded the 4th AL Cavalry, was made a brigadier early in the war. The regiment was commanded for the great part of the war by Col. William A. Johnson
Field officers: Cols. Phillip Dale Roddey (Lawrence; promoted); William Arthur Johnson (Lauderdale; wounded, Pulaski); Lt. Col. Francis Marion Windes; Majors Richard W. Johnson (Lauderdale; wounded, near Florence; KIA, near Moulton); John E. Newsom; and Adjutants Francis Marion Windes (promoted); E. S. Chisholm.
5th Alabama Cavalry Regiment
The 5th Alabama Cavalry Regiment was organized at Tuscumbia in December, 1862, by increasing the 22nd Alabama Cavalry Battalion to a regiment, and it was brigaded under Gen'l Philip Dale Roddy. The regiment was recruited in Fayette, Franklin, Lauderdale, Lawrence, Marion, Morgan, and Tuscaloosa counties. It moved into East Tennessee shortly after and skirmished at Chapel Hill. It captured a wagon train at Hamburg; took 60 prisoners and a train at Hunt's Mill, in Jackson; blocked the railroad in the rear of Union Gen'l William S. Rosecrans; captured 130 prisoners at Madison Station; fought Gen'l Eli Long at Moulton; stampeded a regiment at Oakville; and was with Gen'l Nathan Bedford Forrest on his Pulaski Raid, with light loss. The 5th also skirmished with Union Gen'l James B. Steedman when he marched into the Tennessee Valley, and it was in front of Union Gen'l James Wilson's Corps from Montevallo to Selma. The regiment took part in the defence of Selma and was mostly captured there. The remainder surrendered at Danville, in Morgan County, on 6 May 1865. During its career, the 5th captured at least 450 enemy soldiers. The regiment was reliably commanded by Col. Josiah Patterson until war's end.
Field officers: Col. Josiah Patterson (Morgan; captured, Selma); Lt. Cols. James Monroe Warren (captured, LaGrange; resigned); R. F. Gibson (Lawrence; resigned); Jabez Lamar Monroe Curry; William Wren (MS); Majors R. F. Gibson (Lawrence; resigned); William Wren (MS); and Adjutants William L. McGaughy; and John K. Clarke.
6th Alabama Cavalry Regiment
The 6th Alabama Cavalry was organized near Pine Level, early in 1863, as part of Brig. Gen'l James H. Clanton's brigade. Recruits were gathered from Barour, Coffee, Coosa, Henry, Macon, Montgomery, Pike, and Tallapoosa counties. It was first engaged near Pollard with a column of the enemy that moved out from Pensacola. Ordered then to North Alabama, the 6th was concerned in several skirmishes near Decatur, with small loss. During the Atlanta-Dalton campaign, the regiment served for several weeks as part of Brig. Gen'l Samuel W. Ferguson's and Brig. Gen'l Frank C. Armstrong's brigades, losing quite a number. A portion of the regiment resisted Maj. Gen'l Lovel H. Rousseau at Ten Islands, losing a number killed and captured. Transferred to West Florida, the 6th fought Maj. Gen'l Frederick Steele's column at Bluff Springs, under orders from Col Armstead, and its loss was severe, especially in prisoners. The remnant fought Maj. Gen'l James H. Wilson's column, and laid down their arms at Gainesville, fewer than 200 men.
Field officers: Col. Charles H. Colvin, Lt. Col. Washington T. Lary (captured at Ten Islands); Major Eliphalet Ariel McWhorter (captured at Ten Islands, Bluff Springs); and Adjutant Joseph A. Robertson.
The 7th Alabama Cavalry regiment was organized at Newbern, 22 July 1863, raised as part of the brigade of Gen'l James H. Clanton. Recruits came from Greene, Montgomery, Pickens, Randolph, and Shelby counties. Ordered to Pollard, the regiment remained in that vicinity for nearly a year. In the fall of 1864, the 7th reported to Gen'l Nathan Bedford Forrest at Corinth, Mississippi and was reassigned to Rucker's Brigade. It took part in the raid on Johnsonville and was engaged in the fighting as Gen'l John Bell Hood moved up to Nashville. The 7th also bore the brunt of the night attack of the enemy at Brentwood, suffering severely in killed and wounded. During Hood's retreat, the regiment fought daily and nightly, repelling the repeated assaults of the enemy's swarm of cavalry. When the 7th reached Corinth, only 64 rank and file (effectives) were left of the 350 with which it began the campaign. After recruiting a few weeks, the regiment joined Gen'l Abraham Buford, at Montevallo, 300 strong. Ordered to West Florida, the 7th reached Greenville, then turned and confronted Union Gen'l James Wilson's Corps from Benton to Girard, fighting and obstructing his march. At Girard, the regiment was in the line and took part in the last fighting of the great war. It moved by way of Dadeville and Wetumka, and it surrendered at Gainesville, 14 May 1865.
Field and staff officers: Col. Joseph Hodgson (Montgomery); Lt. Cols. Henry J. Livingston (Autauga; resigned); Turner Clanton (Montgomery); Majors Turner Clanton (promoted); Francis C. Randolph (Montgomery); and Adjutant William t. Charles (Montgomery; captured, and escaped).
The 8th Alabama Cavalry Regiment was organized 26 April 1864, at Newbern, by adding a company to the nine of Hatch's 9th Cavalry Battalion, Local Defense Troops, which had entered the service the previous winter. Recruits were from Choctaw, Dallas, Fayette, Greene, Marengo, Sumter, and Tuscaloosa counties. Ordered at once to Blue Mountain, the regiment was under Gen'l Gideon Pillow, assigned to C. G. Armistead's Brigade. Moving into north Georgia, the regiment was in the desperate encounter at LaFayette (24 June 1864), with a loss of 30 k and w,and about 75 prisoners. Shortly after, the 8th fought at Rome, losing about 20 men k and w. It was ordered to west Florida soon after, and it was in front of Union Gen'l Frederick Steele as he moved on Pollard. The 8th surrendered at Gainesville, 4 May 1865, after some further operations of minor importance.
Field and staff officers: Col. Elias P. Ball (Montgomery); Lt. Col. Lemuel D. Hatch (Montgomery; wounded, LaFayette, and captured); Majors William T. Poe; Richard H. Redwood (Mobile; KIA, LaFayette); and Adjutant J. Catlin Cade (Marengo). According to Willis Brewer, "Lemuel D. Hatch of Greene was entitled to the colonelcy of this regiment, having recruited it by authority. But Gen. Polk appointed Charles P. Ball of Montgomery colonel, L. D. Hatch leiutenant colonel, and Richard H. Redwood of Mobile major. Pending a discussion of the question, Col. Hatch was wounded and captured (and Major Redwood killed) at LaFayette, and Colonel Ball continued in command, though Hatch's commission as colonel was issued."
The 8th Alabama Cavalry was organized at Gadsden during the spring of 1864 by increasing the strength of Livingston's Cavalry Battalion. In the summer, it reported to and was brigaded under Gen'l Gideon Pillow at Blue Mountain, strength about 250 men. It operated in the vicinity of the Army of Tennessee while it lay at Dalton, and it was with Gen'l Pillow for about eight months. Transferred to Gen'l James H. Clanton's Brigade in the Dept. of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisiana, the 8th fought under that officer at Ten Islands, with some losses. It was soon after sent to west Florida where it made head against Union Gen'l Frederick Steele's column at Bluff Spring, losing a number. By February of 1865, the regiment had grown to about 600 men, but after skirmishing in Alabama and resisting Union Gen'l James H. Wilson's Corps, on 4 May 1865, there were but a few to surrender at Gainesville.
Field and staff officers: Col. Henry J. Livingston (Autauga); Lt. Col. Thomas L. Faulkner (Autauga); Major Sidney A. Moses (Russell); and Aujutant Charles E. Stewart (Dallas; transferred to line).
The Tenth Alabama Cavalry was organized in the winter, 1863-1864, to constitute part of General Philip Dale Roddey's command. Richard O. Pickett of Lauderdale was the colonel, and the men were from the northern Alabama counties (across the Tennessee River). They were first stationed at Mount Hope and were then assigned to Roddey in the District of North Alabama, Department of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisiana. The services of the regiment were confined in a great measure to outpost operations in the Tennessee valley, though it participated in the Pulaski raid, and other encounters and forays. They disbanded in the spring of 1865.
Field officers: Col. Richard Orrick Pickett; Lt. Col. John R. Powell; Major W. P. Wrenn; and Adjutant E. T. Johnson.
Also known as the 10th Alabama (Burtwell's) Cavalry Regiment. The nucleus of this regiment was a command that served for some time under Col. Jeffrey E. Forrest, Forrest's Cavalry Regiment, also called the 4th Cavalry Regiment. The command was increased to a regiment, and re-organized by transferring 4 Tennessee companies to the 18th Tennessee Cavalry and by sending 5 Alabama companies to Warren's and Moreland's cavalry battalions. The 11th Alabama Cavalry Regiment was organized by the consolidation of Warren's and William's cavalry battalions on 14 January 1865, comprising men from Franklin, Lauderdale, Limestone, and Morgan counties. It was with Forrest in the attack on Athens and Sulphur Trestle, and in the fight at Pulaski, losing very severely in casualties on the expedition. The regiment rendered effective service to Gen. John Bell Hood. It was part of Philip Dale Roddy's force at Montevallo, and was in front of Union Gen'l James Wilson's column to Selma; At the assault on the works there, the Eleventh was in the trenches, and nearly all its men retired therefrom, as the part of the line held by them was not assailed. The regiment laid down its arms at Decatur in May, 1865.
Field and staff officers: Col. John Robertson Bedford Burtwell (Lauderdale); Lt. Col. John F. Doan (MS); Major Melville W. Sale; and Adjutant David H. Halsey (Franklin)
The 12th Alabama Cavalry Battalion, Partisan Rangers, was organized with 4 companies before 12 September 1862 and operated in East Tennessee for some months. It was then assigned to the 1st Alabama Cavalry Regiment in November 1862 while the army lay at Murfreesboro. It then fought at Murfreesboro and Chickamauga, and in Gen'l James Longstreet's East Tennessee Campaign. The Battalion was involved in several battles beginning with the Atlanta Campaign (May through September, 1864), including the fights at Rome where one company lost 20 casualties in defending a bridge, Atlanta (25 casualties), Campbellton (45 casualties), and Sunshine Church. It was also in the Savannah Campaign (November-December 1864), and the Carolinas Campaign (February-April 1865). It was reconstituted with the original 4 companies before 30 June 1864. Companies "E", "F", and "G" were assigned to the unit in 1864, and it was increased to a regiment and designated the 12th Alabama Cavalry in January 1865.
Field officers: Col. Warren Stone Reese; Lt. Cols. William H. Hundley (Madison); Marcellus Pointer; Majors William H. Hundley (promoted); Albert Gallatin Bennett (St. Clair; resigned, 5 Jan 1863); Augustus John Ingram; and Adjutant W. W. Whorton.
The nucleus of the 12th Alabama Cavalry Regiment (with men recruited from Cherokee, De Kalb, Etowah, Jackson, Jefferson, Marshall, and St. Clair counties) was a battalion recruited by Lt. Col. William H. Hundley of Madison, and Major Albert G. Bennett of St. Clair. This battalion operated in East Tennessee for some months, and it was consolidated with the 1st Alabama while the army lay at Murfreesboro. It fought thus at Murfreesboro and Chickamauga, and through Gen'l James Longstreet's East Tennessee Campaign. Soon after the latter operations, four companies were added, and the regiment thus formed took the name of the 12th Alabama. Attached to Hagan's Brigade, the regiment took part in the retrograde movement from Dalton, and was engaged in numerous encounters. One of its companies lost 20 k and w while defending a bridge near Rome. At Atlanta, 22 July 1864, Gen'l Joseph Wheeler complimented the regiment on the field, and it lost 25 or 30 men in a hilt to hilt melee with Union Gen'l Stoneman's raiders. At Campbellsville, the 12th repulsed Brownlow's Brigade, losing 45 men. At Averysboro and the attack on Kilpatrick, and other places, the regiment fought until the end. It disbanded the night before the surrender -- about 125 present -- on 25 April 1865.
Field and staff officers: Col. Warren Stone Reese (Montgomery); Lt. Cols. William H. Hundley; Marcellus Pointer (MS; wounded); Majors Albert Gallatin Bennett (resigned, 5 Jan 1863); Augustus John Ingram (Blount; accidentally disabled); and Adjutant R. B. Whorton (resigned, 11 Oct 1862).
The 13th Battalion had been organized with six companies on 28 August 1862. It was assigned to the Dept. of Mississippi and East Louisiana (December 1862-June 1863) and first served as scouts and pickets. With about 250 men, it fought at the battle of King's Creek under Gen'l Daniel Ruggles. It was consolidated with the 15th Battalion on 8 June 1863 to form the 56th Regiment, Partisan Rangers.
Field officer: Major William A. Hewlett.
The 15th Alabama Cavalry Battalion had been organized with five companies on 25 August 1862. It served in Gen'l Cumming's Brigade at Mobile, then moved to Mississippi with about 350 effectives and fought at King's Creek under Gen'l Daniel Ruggles. It was consolidated with the 13th Battalion on 8 June 1863 to form the 56th Regiment, Partisan Rangers.
Field officer: Major William Boyles.
The 24th Alabama Cavalry Battalion was organized on 31 December 1863, with three companies. It was chiefly composed of youths and served in Gen'l Joseph Wheeler's Cavalry Corps, assigned to Philip Dale Roddey's, Moses Wright Hannon's, and then in January, 1865, to James Hagan's Brigade. The battalion was involved in the Atlanta Campaign at Resaca and the siege of the city. They continued to harass the Union forces in Georgia and the Carolinas, and they surrendered with the Army of Tennessee at Durham Station, Orange County, North Carolina, 26 April 1865..
Field and staff officers: Major Robert B. Snodgrass and Adjutant C. Wickham Gue
[By Charles S. Rice, Huntsville, AL]
Although the 25th Alabama Cavalry Battalion was not formed until very late in the war, its origins go back to the summer of 1862, when Lemuel Green Mead of Jackson County resigned as captain of Co. "C", 50th Alabama Infantry Regiment and was recommissioned a cavalry captain with orders to operate behind enemy lines in North Alabama and Tennessee. Mead quickly recruited a company of partisan rangers, but the Union withdrawal in September 1862 limited his activities. However, the Union Army returned to
North Alabama in mid-1863, and Mead's operations began again in earnest. Mead's forces so rapidly increased that on 18 January 1864 he was authorized to expand his company into a cavalry battalion. Mead's men constantly harassed the Union invaders, attacked the railroad, captured wagon trains and forage parties, and forced the Union Army to keep several regiments tied down to defend against them. Mead's cavalry cooperated with Col. Alfred A. Russell's 4th Alabama Cavalry Regiment in November and December 1864, in support of Gen'l John Bell Hood's Nashville campaign. Mead's most famous independent operation was the seizure of the Union post at Paint Rock Bridge on 31 Dec 1864, where he captured Co. "G", 18th Wisconsin Infantry, and a Napoleon howitzer. A letter from Col. Russell (17 Jan 1865) indicates that Gen'l Nathan B. Forrest wanted Mead's battalion attached to his own command, which would have been done "but for the contrary influence of some of the staff officers of Brigadier General [Philip D.] Roddey and S. D. Cabaniss, inspector of conscription." On 11 March 1865, Lemuel Mead was promoted to colonel and authorized to reform his men into a regiment. Companies "A", "C", "E", "F", and "G"of Mead's Battalion became Companies "A", "B", "C", "D", and "E" of the 25th Alabama Cavalry Battalion. Captain Milus E. "Bushwhacker" Johnston, who had been acting as major, was promoted to lieutenant colonel and placed in command. At the same time, Mead's Tennessee companies became the 27th Tennessee Cavalry Battalion. Mead was recommended by Gen'l John B. Gordon for temporary promotion to brigadier general, but the war ended before that occured. Johnston's 25th Alabama Battalion surrendered at Huntsville on 11 May 1865. Col. Mead held out on Brindley Mountain for a few weeks longer before finally disbanding the remainder of his men.
Field officers: Col. Lemuel Green Mead; Lt. Col. Milus E. "Bushwhacker" Johnston; and Major Eugene C. Gordon.
The 53rd Alabama Cavalry Regiment, Partisan Rangers, was organized by increasing the 1st Cavalry Battalion to regimental size at Montgomery on 5 November 1862. Recruits were from Autauga, Coffee, Coosa, Dale, Dallas, Lauderdale, Lowndes, Macon, Monroe, Montgomery, Pike, Tallapoosa and Wilcox counties. It proceeded in a few weeks to Mississippi. In moving from Columbus to Decatur, in Lawrence, a portion of the regiment was there equipped and proceeded to join Gen'l Earl Van Dorn. This battalion was in the fighting at Thompson's Station, and at Brentwood. The regiment was engaged in the fight with Union Gen'l Grenville Dodge at Town Creek and in the pursuit of Union Col. Abel Streight. Soon after, the 53rd joined the main army at Dalton as part of Gen'l Moses W. Hannon's Brigade, Gen'l John Kelly's Division. It operated on the right of the army as it fell back towards Atlanta and was engaged in constant duty. When Union Gen'l William T. Sherman reached Atlanta, the 53rd was the principal force engaged in the daring raid in his rear, whereby a valuable train was destroyed. It was then at the heels of Sherman as he devastated Georgia and the Carolinas, and it took part in the last operations of the war in that quarter. It surrendered a small number with Gen'l Joseph E. Johnston at Durham Station, Orange County, NC, on 26 April 1865.
Field and staff officers: Col. Moses Wright Hannon (Montgomery; promoted); Lt. Col. John F. Gaines (Montgomery; wounded, Waynesboro); Major Thomas Farewell Jenkins (Wilcox; captured, near Florence); and Adjutants R. B. Snodgrass (Montgomery; wounded three times; transferred); George P. Furhman; and John T. Tannehill (Montgomery).
It was assigned to (1) the District of the Gulf, Dept. #2 (Dec 1862); to Armstrong's Brigade, Jackson's Division, Van Dorn's Cavalry Corps, Department of MS and East LA (Feb 63) with a total of 517 effectives; (2) to Armstrong's Brigade, Van Dorn's Division, Army of Tennessee (Feb-March 63); (3) to Armstrong's Brig, Jackson's Division, Van Dorn's Cavalry Corps, Army of TN (March 63); (4) to District of Northern AL, Dept #2 (July-Aug 63); (5) to Roddey's Brigade, Wheeler's Cavalry Corps, Army of TN (Aug 63-April 64); (6) to M. W. Hannon's Brigade, Humes' Division, Wheeler's Cavalry Corps, Army of TN (April-Nov 64); (7) to Hannon's Brigade, Humes' Division, Wheeler's Cavalry Corps, Department of SC, GA, and FL (Nov 64-Jan 65); (8) to Hannon's Brigade, Allen's Division, Wheeler's Cavalry Corps, Hampton's Cavalry Command (Feb-April 65); and (9) to Hagan's Brigade, Allen's Division, Wheeler's Cavalry Corps, Hampton's Cavalry Command, Army of TN (April 65).
The regiment fought in the following battles: Cherokee Station and Little Bear Creek, AL (12 Dec 62); Thompson's Station (5 March 63); Florence, AL (25 March 63); Brentwood (25 March 63); Town Creek (April 63); Streight's Raid (April-May 63); Chickamauga (19-20 Sept 63); Atlanta Campaign (May-Sept 64); Resaca (14-15 May 64); Atlanta Siege (July-Sept 64); Jonesboro (31 Aug-1 Sept 64); Carolinas Campaign (Feb-April 65)
The 56th Alabama Cavalry Regiment, Partisan Rangers, was made up of two battalions (13th and 15th), commanded by Majors William Boyles (15th Battalion) and William A. Hewlett (13th Battalion)and which had been in service several months. The men were recruited from the
counties of Autauga, Butler, Mobile, Montgomery, and Walker. Thus organized in the summer of 1863, the 56th operated in north Mississippi for some time under Gen'l Daniel Ruggles. It was there brigaded under Gen'l Samuel W. Ferguson and sent to north Georgia. It served on the flank of the army during the Dalton-Atlanta campaign, and it saw arduous duty. The regiment moved with Gen'l John Bell Hood to the Tennessee, then it turned and harassed Union Gen'l William T. Sherman. It was in the trenches of Savannah and operated near Augusta. It moved into the Carolinas and was surrendered at Greensboro, 26 April 1865, about 150 strong.
Field and staff officers: Col. William Boyles (Mobile); Lt. Cols. William A. Hewlett (Walker; resigned, 16 Feb 1864); Arthur Warren Debardelaben (Autauga; resigned, 13 June 1864); and William F. Martin (Mobile); Majors Arthur Warren Debardelaben (promoted); William F. Martin (promoted); Thomas D. Hall (Augauga); and Adjutant Augustine I. Sykes; and David H. Boyles.
Major Joseph Barbiere's Cavalry Battalion was organized in 1864 from several independent companies which had themselves been created as supporting forces for the Conscript Reserves. The battalion served principally in central Alabama during the fall and winter, 1864-1865, and it was first assigned (1 Nov 64) to Armistead's Cavalry Brigade, District of Central Alabama, until January 1865. The unit was headquartered at Wilsonville, AL (Feb 65) and was reported as serving with the Alabama Reserves with six companies ("A"-"F"). It was assigned to, and included in the surrender of the Department of Alabama, Mississippi and East Louisiana by Lt. Gen'l Richard Taylor at Citronelle, AL, on 4 May 1865.
Barbiere's Cavalry Battalion consisted of Companies "A"-"E" (probably Capt. John C. Brown's, Capt. J. M. Clifton's, Capt. Dawson's, Capt. Thomas J. Goldsby's, and and Capt. Thomas K. Truss' companies), "F" (Capt. Andrew W. Bowie's), and "G" (Capt. P. L. Griffitts)
Forrest's Cavalry Regiment, also known as the 4th Alabama Cavalry Regiment, was organized with Julian's Cavalry Battalion as a nucleus on the 1st of June 1863. It was broken up on 11 July 1864 when four Tennessee companies were transferred to the 18th Tennessee Cavalry Regiment; four Alabama companies transferred to Warren's Cavalry Battalion; and one Alabama Company transferred to Moreland's Cavalry Battalion (Fancher's Company, subsequently Co. "E", Moreland's Regiment).
Officers: Col. Jeffrey E. Forrest; Lt. Col. Dew Moore Wisdom; Adj. D. H. Halsey.
Originally a cavalry squadron of just two companies organized on 21 January 1863, but increased to a battalion of five companies on 26 April 1864. Company commanders included Capts. John D. Morrison (Co. "A"), W. P. Barnes (Co. "B"), William May (Co. "C"), Lewis V. Harrell (Co. "E"), and Henry Brooks (Co. "D"). The battalion served in central Alabama and Georgia. It was assigned to Armistead's Cavalry Brigade and participated in the battles of Lafayette (24 June 1864; 1 killed and 5 wounded) and Mobile (17 March-12 April 1865). There were 104 men present for duty on 1 September 1864. The battalion surrendered with the Dept. of Alabama, Mississippi and East Louisiana at Citronelle, AL, 4 May 1865.
Field and staff officers: Majors Thomas Hall Lewis (KIA, La Fayette, GA); William Virgil Harrell; and Adjutant Green W. Lee
Mead's Cavalry Regiment, or Mead's Partisan Rangers, was initially a single cavalry company under the command of Capt. Lemuel Green Mead. It operated effectively as early as the summer of 1862. Capt. Mead later raised several other cavalry companies behind enemy lines in northern Alabama and Tennessee during 1864. These were arranged as battalions, but several companies failed to complete their organization. Of these, the 5 Alabama companies were transferred to the 25th AL Cavalry Battalion under the command of Major Milus E. Johnston, and the 6 Tennessee companies were transferred to the 27th TN Cavalry Battalion on 3 March 1865.
According to the Official Records (v.XVI, pt. 2), Mead's company was ordered (15 August 1862) to operate in north Alabama and Tennessee, reporting to the nearest Confederate commander. General Braxton Bragg's order, dated Chattanooga, TN, 26 August 1862 announced the following cavalry assignments: Crawford's, Mead's and Allen's regiment, commanded by Colonel Wheeler, to left wing of army of the Mississippi, reporting to Major-General Hardee. The command is mentioned by Union Gen'l R. W. Johnson, Pulaski, TN, as Mead's Battalion. The command is also called by Union Col. W. J. Clift, at Fayetteville, TN, "the most reckless and daring in the country." Finally, Special Orders No.52, Richmond, VA, 2 March 1865 dictates that "the following companies [of] Alabama cavalry raised within the enemy's lines by Capt. L. G. Mead, under authority of the War Department, are hereby organized into a battalion, to be known as the Twenty-fifth battalion, Alabama cavalry: [composed of] Capt. M. E. Johnston's, Capt. F. E. Cotton's, Capt. D. C. Nelson's, Capt. R. L. Welch's, Capt. W. M. Campbell's and Capt. John Cobb's [companies]."
Moreland's Cavalry Battalion was organized with seven companies on 1 August 1863. Additional companies were added on 30 January (Co. "I") and 1 February 1864 (Co. "H"), and the battalion was organized into a regiment sometime before 10 June 1864. As a cavalry regiment attached to Johnson's and Roddey's Brigades, Moreland's fought against the Sturgis Mississippi Expedition (1-13 June 1864) and took part in battles at Brice's Crossroads (10 June 1864), Tupelo (14 July 1864) and against Wilson's Raid (22-24 March 1865). They were surrendered with the Dept. of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisiana, at Citronelle, AL, on 4 May 1865.
Field and Staff Officers: Col. M. D. Moreland; Major J. N. George; Adjutant John A. Cathey.
If you have questions, comments, or corrections, please email Ken Jones.
FEATURES: CIVIL WAR UNITS: