eHistory logo Primary Sources Section
Primary Sources Home | Search eHistory

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

You are currently in Volume VI | Pages range from 1 to 894

Go to Page (current volume):  
Index | Previous | Next
OFFICIAL RECORDS: Series 1, vol 6, Part 1 (Fort Pulaski - New Orleans)
Page 285 Chapter XV. CORRESPONDENCE, ETC. - UNION.

RICHMOND, September 27, 1861.

Gov. JOSEPH E. BROWN,

Atlanta, Ga.:

The thousand rifles were ordered to be given you instead of sending back the battalion from Lynchburg. Grave reasons of policy forbid sending back any troops from Virginia.

J. P. BENJAMIN,

Acting Secretary of War.

RICHMOND, September 30, 1861.

E. P. LAWTON,

Assistant Adjutant-General, Savannah:

One thousand small-arms and one rifled 12-pounder were assigned by order issued to the proper ordnance officer for the service of Georgia.

J. P. BENJAMIN,

Acting Secretary of War.

Abstract from report of the Provisional Forces, Department of South Carolina, Brigadier General R. S. Ripley, commanding, for September 1861.

Present for duty

Stations. Officers Men Aggregate Aggregat

present e

present

and

absent

Sullivan's Island 69 1,244 1,521 1,603

(Colonel Orr)

Stono forts 54 904 1,115 1,274

(Colonel Hagood)

North and South 15 293 367 382

Edisto (Colonel

Dunovant)

Near Georgetown 26 397 538 567

(Colonel Manigault)

Near Aiken (Colonel 38 629 739 898

Jones)

Field's Point 4 73 106 112

Port Royal Harbor 4 185 227 239

Fort Walker 9 195 224 256

Sam's Point 6 56 69 76

Braddock's Point 4 53 57 69

Camp Lookout 3 48 75 96

Near Columbia 11 162 173 194

(cavalry)

Lightwood Knot 3 52 62 64

Spring (cavalry)

Charleston Arsenal 3 45 68 69

(artillery)

12th 13th and 15th - - - 2,372

Regiments S. C.

Volunteers*

Total 249 4,336 5,341 8,271

---------------

*Stations not given.

---------------


Page 285 Chapter XV. CORRESPONDENCE, ETC. - UNION.
OFFICIAL RECORDS: Series 1, vol 6, Part 1 (Fort Pulaski - New Orleans)
Index | Previous | Next
This symbol external link icon indicates an external link
All images and content are the property of eHistory at The Ohio State University unless otherwise stated.
Copyright © 2014 OSU Department of History. All rights reserved. [citation and copyright information]
eHistory icon