Page 278(The Bitter End)
25. Tregurrha Comments.
26. Moyher Itr.
28. AESF ComdC.
29. CWO-2 J, C, Owens intvw, 16Jan87 (Memorandum for chc Record, Vietnam File, 1973-75).
30. Mallick Comments.
31. Moyher Itr.
32. AESF ComdC.
33. 9th MAB ComdC; AESF ComdC.
A Vietnamese City in Guam
34. CinCPac msg to CinCPacRep Guam, dtd 23Apr75 (Frequent
35. MB Guam AAR.
37. Marine Barracks Guam msg to CMC, dtd 28Apr75 (Vietnam File, 1973-75), hereafter MB Guam msg.
38. CinCPac msg to Marine Barracks Guam, dtd 23Apr75 (Vietnam File, 1973-75).
39. MB Guam msg.
40. MB Guam AAR.
42. Ibid. 45. Ibid.
44. Herbert Comments.
45. MB Guam AAR.
The Final Link: Camp Pendleton
50. BGen Paul G- Graham intvw. 30 Sept75, "lape 6154 (Oral Hist-Coll, MCHC), hereafrer Graham intvw.
57. CMC msg to CG Camp Pendleton, dtd 29Apr75 (Vietnam File,
58. JCS msg to CMC, dtd 30Apr75 (Vietnam File, 1975-75).
59. Camp Pendleton New Arrival Operation Order 1-75, dtd
28Apr75 (Vietnam File, 1975-75), hereafter NewArr OpO 1-75.
60. CG MCAS Ei Toro msg to CMC, dtd 30Apr75 (Vietnam File, 1973-75).
61. CG 3d MAW msg to CG I MAF and CO MAG-16 (Vietnam File, 1975-75).
62. NewArr OpO 1-75.
63. Graham intvw.
64. NewArr AAR.
69. OpNewArr PhPI.
70. NewArr AAR.
71. Graham incvw.
RECOVERY OF THE SS MAYAGUEZ
In preparing this chapter the following sources were used: BLT 2/9 Koh Ta.r\g/Mayaguez
Historical Reporr dtd 9Dcc75, hereafter 2/9 Koh Tang Report; BLT 1/4 After
Action Report on the Recovery ofrhe Mayaguez, dtd 12Nov75, hereafter 1/4 AAR;
DC/S Plans and Operations HQ PacAF, "Assault on Koh Tang," dtd 23Jun75 (Office
of Air Ibrce History. Washington. D.C.), hereafter "Assault on Koh Tang";
1st Battalion. 9th Marines ComdC, lJan-30Jun75, hereafter 1/9 ComdC; Quinlan
intvw, Tape 111A; and Col J. M. Johnson, LtCol R- W. Austin, and Maj D. A.
Quinlan, "Individual Heroism Overcame Awkward Command Relationships. Confusion,
and Bad Informarion Off the Cambodian Coast." Marine Corps Gazelle, Oct77,
pp. 24-34, hereafter "Individual Heroism," Additionally, copies of numerous
messages were obtained from the Air Force Historical Research Center, Maxwell
Air Force Base, Alabama. and are held in the Mayaguez message file, hereafter
MMF. Another important source was U.S. House Committee on International Relations,
Seizure of the Mayaguez, 94th Cong., 1st Sess., 1975, Pts I-IV, hereafter
Hearings on Seizure. Also used were: Steele Comments; Carey Comments; Roche
Comments; Strickland Comments; Grimm Comments; Guilmartin Comments; Wood Comments;
IstLt Terry L. Tonkin, Comments on draft ms, 13Mar89 (Comment File), hereafter
Tonkin Comments; 2dLt Michael A. Ci-cere. Comments on draft ms, 9Nov88 (Comment
File), hereafter Cicere Comments.
1. Capt C. T, Miller, "Seizure ofrhe S.S. Mayaguez by Khmer Rouge Gunboat
P128, Statement of Facts," 1975 (MMF), hereafter Mayaguez Master's statement.
The Mayaguez Crisis
2. Frances Levine, "Ship Seized," HQMC Public Affairs Division
press release, dtd 12May75 (MMF).
4. "Individual Heroism."
5. Hearings on Seizure, pt I, pp. 5-5 and pi IV, p. 63; History of Pacific Air Forces, lJul74-5lDec75, (Air Farce Historical Research Center. Maxwell AFB, Alabama), hereafter PacAF History (74-75).
6. Urey W. Patrick, "The Mayaguez Operation," (Center for Naval
Analyses, Alexandria, Virginia), hereafter CNA Mayaguez Report.
The. Initial Decisions
7. VAdm George P. Stccle, USN (Ret), "The U.S. Seventh Fleet,"
U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings, Jan76 (U.S. Naval Institute, An-
napolis, Maryland), p. 27, hereafter "U.S. Seventh Fleet"; Hearings
on Seizure, pt I, pp. 3-6.
8. Ritchie inrvw, Tape 121A.
9. Hearings on Seizure, pr I, pp. 5-6 and pt IV. pp. 87-88
10. CG USSAG/Seventh Air Force msg to Mayaguez participants,
dtd 15May75 (MMF), hereafter Mayaguez Surveillance Operation
msg; Earl H. Tilford, Jr.. The United States Air Force Search and
Rescue m Southeast Asia (Office of Air force History, Washington,
D.C.), pp. 146-154.
Page 278(The Bitter End)