Page 273(The Bitter End)
ComdC; 3d Marine Division ComdC, lJan-30Jun75, hereafter 3d MarDiv ComdC;
9th MAB ComdC, 25Mar-30Apr75, hereafter 9rh MAB ComdC; 31st MAU ComdC. lJan-18Apr75.
hereafter 31sr MAU ComdC; 1st Battalion, 4th Marines ComdC. lJan-18Apr75,
hereafter 1/4 ComdC; and HMM-165 ComdC, lJan-30Apr75, hereafter HMM-165 ComdC.
Also used were: Steeic Comments; Col Carl A. Shaver, Comments on draft ms,
20Apr89 (Comment File), hereafter Shaver Comments; Capt Charles J. Bushey,
Comments on draft ms, 20ct88 (Comment File), hereafter Bushey Comments; and
LtCol Walter J, Wood. Comments on draft ms, 30ci88 (Comment File), hereafter
The Amphibious Evacuation RVN Support Group
1. Ill MAF ComdC.
2. 31sr MAU ComdC.
3. 1/4 ComdC.
4. Quinlan intvw.
6. III MAF ComdC.
7. CO, CTF 76 msg to CO, Amphibious Evacuation RVN Support Group, dtd 30Mar75.
Initial Operations in Vietnamese Waters
8. 1/4 ComdC.
9. LtCol Charles E. Hester inrvw, 10May75, Tape 6095 (Oral Hist-Coll). hereafter Hester inrvw; CW02 Alien F, Kent inivw, 10May75. Tape 6060 (Oral HiscColl, MCHC), hereafter Kent intvw,
11. 3d MarDiv ComdC.
12. 1/4 ComdC.
Military Sealift Command Operations
17- LtCol Gerald L. Berry, Comments on draft ms, dtd 30ct88 (Comment File).
18. PacAF Office of History, "The Fall and Evacuation of South Vici-nam," 30Apr78, pp. 63-67 (copy of pp. 63-67 in Vietnam File, 1973-75).
19. HMM-165 ComdC.
20. Bushey Comments.
21. Hester intvw.
22. Bushey Comments.
Meeting the Needs
23. 1/4 ComdC.
25. Hester intvw.
Operation Eagle Pull
THE EVACUATION OF PHNOM PENH
In preparing this chapter the following command chronologies were used:
31st MAU ComdC, lJan-18Apr75, hereafter 31st MAU ComdC; III MAF ComdC, lJan-30Jim75,
hereafter III MAF ComdC; III MAF ComdC, lJan-30Jun75, containing Trip Report
of Col Sydney T. Baichelder, hereafter Batchelder Trip Report; HMH-463 ComdC,
lJan-30Apr75, hereafter HMH-463 ComdC; and llth MAB ComdC, 26Mar-5Apr75, hereafter
llth MAB ComdC. Additional sources for this section were derived from U.S.
Senaic Subcommittee on Ibreign Assistance and Economic Policy. Supplemental
Assistance to Cambodia. 94th Cong., 1st Sess. (Washington: GPO, 1975), hereafter
Senate Subcmt Rpt Cambodia; U.S. House Subcommittee on foreign Operations
and Related Agencies, budget Amendment for Military Assistance to Cambodia,
Foreign Assistance and'Related'Agencies Appropriations for 797.5. 94th Cong.,
Isr Sess. (Washington, GPO, 1975), hereafter House Subcmt Rpr Cambodia; U.S.
Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, U.S. Operations in Cambodia: April,
197}. 93d Cong., 1st Sess., (Washington: GPO, 1973), hereafter Senare tbr
Rel Cmt Rpr; and Without Honor. Also used were: Carey Comments; Sreele Comments;
Grimm Comments;Roche Comments; LtCol William R. Melton, Comments on draft
ms, l4Nov88 (Comment File), hereafter Mclron Commenrs; and LtCol John F, Guilmarun.Jr,,
USAF (Ret). Comments on draft ms, 27Sep88 (Comment File), hereafter Guilmartin
Comments. Messages and after action reports arc located m the Eagle Pull-Frequent
The Khmer Rouge
1. Senate Subcmt Rpt Cambodia, p. 17.
2. Grimm intvw.
3. House Subcmt Rpt Cambodia.
4. House Subcmt Rpt Cambodia, pp. 48-49; Grimm inrvw.
5. House Subcmt Rpt Cambodia, p. 10; Senate Subcmt Rpr Cambodia, p. 13; Grimm intvw.
6. Grimm inrvw.
8. Senare For Rel Cmr Rpt.
The Khmer Communists' Last Dry Season Offensive
10. U.S. House Subcommittee on Foreign Operations and Related Agencies, foreign Assistance and Related Agencies Appropriations for 1975, Hearings, Part 3, 94th Cong., 1st Sess. (Washingron: GPO, 1975), pp. 9-12.
11. H. D, S. Grccnway, "Convoy Brings Gas. Ammo to Phnom Penh," 28Jan75, p. 8, and "Mines in Mekong Tip Balance ro Insurgents," 7Feb75, p. 18, The Washington Past.
12. Senate .Subcmr Rpt, p. 31.
13. U.S. House Special Subcommittee on Investigations of the Committee on Inrernarional Relations, 'I'he Vietnam-Cambodia 'Emergency 197.5, Par! IV, Cambodian Evacuation: Testimony of Ambassador John Gunther Dean, 94th Cong., 2d Sess. (Washington: GPO, 1976), p. 6634, hereafter Dean Testimony.
The Marines Move into Position
15. 31st MAU ComdC.
16. Ill MAF ComdC.
17. 31st MAU ComdC.
18. Batchelder Trip Repon.
19. 31St MAU ComdC; Roche Comments.
20. Steele Comments.
21. Batchelder Trip Report.
22. HMH-463 ComdC.
Page 273(The Bitter End)