Division, because this division, under peremptory orders from its commander, had continued the westward advance through the night, the forward troops defiling into the Kautenbach bridgehead. The 352d Volks Grenadier Division was still on hand; it was approaching full strength west of the Our and for the first time could employ a number of its heavier supporting weapons in the attack. At dawn the 916th Regiment launched the strongest assault yet leveled at the 3d Battalion position on the 109th right flank, striking hard under cover of smoke to break through at the left of the battalion northwest of Hosdorf. Early in the assault a platoon from Company K was captured when its ammunition gave out. Company E, which had served to deflect some pressure from the 3d Battalion by its stubborn defense at Fuhren, was no longer in the fight. No word had come from Fuhren since 2300 the previous evening. Company B, sent up the Tandel road to reach Fuhren, had paused at about the same hour only a short distance from the village.  The next morning a patrol with a tank and a jeep reached the edge of Fuhren, but found the company command post burned and no sign of American troops. The loss of Company E and the platoon from Company K made the 3d Battalion position precarious. Meanwhile the twenty-five men left in Company A had withdrawn from the Longsdorf road under cover of indirect fire laid down by two tanks which formed a rear guard. The tankers were shown how to give indirect fire by a forward observer from the 107th Field Artillery Battalion. The remnants of Company A joined the regimental antitank company at road junction 206, the avenue by which enemy vehicles had to move to cut the supply road to the 3d Battalion, with orders to "hold that road." But in the north there was no longer any question that Companies F and G could hold on, isolated as they were, along the road beyond Bastendorf. About 0900 the division chief of staff gave Colonel Rudder permission to withdraw the two companies for use as a reserve. Under cover of the attached tank platoon roadblock at Bastendorf the companies fell back to Diekirch.
During the afternoon the situation of the 109th Infantry rapidly deteriorated. At 1300 two Mark VI tanks appeared on the Longsdorf road and with infantry assistance attacked the vital road junction 206. In the fight that followed the antitank company lost all six of its remaining s7-mm. guns, one of the three tanks left with Company A was knocked out by a direct hit, and a breakthrough threatened momentarily. At 1410, while the fight was in progress Colonel Rudder asked for and received permission to pull his regiment together on the high ground around Diekirch; this withdrawal, however, already was in progress. Forty tons of supplies and the hospital units were moved first. At 1300 the tank platoon at the battery positions on the Hoscheid road hooked up the artillery pieces and started south. By then the 2d Battalion was moving from Bastendorf, under small arms fire "from all directions." The 3d Battalion, last out, made its way west along the Bettendorf road, which already was under fire. During the late
 The 109th Infantry AAR says of this incident: "It is believed that if Company B had been more aggressive in their attack to Fouhren [Fuhren], they could have relieved the pressure on Company E, permitting them to conduct a withdrawal."